Microsoft Edge 86 has been released for Windows and Mac and is available for download with plenty of new features, improvements, and bug fixes. The release strengthens password protection, improves download, New Tab Page, and PDF Viewing experience by bringing Edge Legacy’s download prompt, custom image support for New Tab Page, and Table of Contents.
What you need to know:
- Edge 86 released on October 9
- Alerts if it finds your Passwords stored to Edge are leaked online
- Edge can now offer open, Save, Save as and cancel options for a file download
- Finally, you can change the New Tab Page background with a custom image
If you save passwords to Edge Password Manager, Edge now checks those with known passwords in the cloud with the Password Monitor feature built-in and warns you if it finds them in an online leak.
The leaked Password alert has been made more visible and noticeable in Edge pre-release version.
Custom image option for New Tab Page
The long-awaited your own image option on Custom NTP settings has made into this version and allows you to replace the New tab picture with one from your computer.
To do that,
- Launch edge
- Open new tab page
- Click on Page Settings > Page Layout
- Click on custom> Background > Your own image, click “Upload” and select a Picture.
If your browsing requires you to frequently visit legacy sites and apps in Edge, starting Edge 86, you can able to load old sites in IE on the new Edge itself.
For Edge to render pages with the Internet Explorer engine
- Visit Settings > Default browser, enable “Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet explorer mode”
- Open a website, click on Settings, and more > More Tools >Reload in Internet Explorer mode.
For more details, check this article.
You asked Microsoft has delivered. Another feature from Edge Legacy ported to the new Edge.
This time, the feature replaces Chromium download behavior with Edge Legacy. If you’ve Set Edge to “Ask me what to do with each download”., the browser every time prompts whether to open, Save as Save or cancel a download.
You can able to delete files from Edge itself without need to open the download folder.
You can find the complete changelog of Edge 86.0.622.38, along with security fixes over here.
Are you using the new Edge? Let us know in the comments below.