Till now, you need to manually enable and use Global Media Controls to enter Picture in Picture mode in Microsoft Edge, this is no longer required. the browser got its own button for PiP for Windows and Mac in Edge 93. It is currently rolling out along with a setting to control its appearance in the video frame.
Picture in Picture mode in Chromium browsers
Picture in Picture mode allows watching a video in a floating window on top of other windows. With PiP mode, you can interact with other sites or applications.
Google Chrome doesn’t have a native Picture in Picture button yet, users need to right-click on a video and select the option to enter PiP mode. However, they can able to manage audio, video playing in the browser by opening the media controls UI in the toolbar.
Chromium browsers such as Vivaldi and Opera, customized Picture in Picture mode to their liking. Microsoft has kept mum in regard to this. Now, it has started rolling out the PiP button for Edge on Windows and Mac with version 93. Edge for Mac gets the icon first, followed by the Windows version. The button implementation looks more like Firefox.
Microsoft Edge’s new Picture-in-Picture button
Here is how the Picture in Picture experience looks like in Microsoft Edge for videos now:
- Visit YouTube
- Play any video
- Hover over it to notice a pop-out button (this one looks similar to the one in Opera and Vivaldi browser’s ), clicking on it will open the video in Picture in Picture Window.
Enable or disable the Picture in Picture button in Microsoft Edge
Like Firefox, Microsoft has added a setting to manage the appearance of the PiP icon in Edge.
1. Visit Settings > Cookies and Site Permissions > Picture in picture control
2. Toggle the switch for “ Show Picture in picture control insider video frame” to On or Off.
As we said above, you can disable the Edge PiP button over videos if you don’t like it by toggling the setting.
If you want to enter Picture in Picture mode for Videos in Edge from Global Media Controls, follow the below steps.
- Visit edge://flags page
- Enable the following flags and restar the browser.
- Global Media Controls
- Global Media Controls Picture-in-Picture
- Play any YouTube video and click on the GMC icon and select the PiP icon.
More on Microsoft Edge: