If your Google Chrome browser is behaving weirdly recently by showing black boxes on parts of a web page. The issue was reported by users in forums. The problem is not OS-specific, both Windows and Mac users experienced this. Restarting Chrome may help for a short period of time, they may re-appear again, follow the solution below if you’re affected by this issue in the Chrome browser.
Fix Chrome Shows black boxes on web pages
- Ensure you’re using the latest Chrome, and turn on the Hardware Acceleration option in Settings, if disabled.
For that, click on the Chrome menu, select Settings > Advanced Settings, Scroll down under system, and check ‘Use Hardware Acceleration when available
- Disable Hardware acceleration. Toggle “use hardware acceleration” in the first step and see if it solves the black boxes problem
- Disable all extensions in Chrome and see if the issue persists. For that, click on menu > More tools and disable all the extensions one by one.
- Reset Chrome Settings: Visit Menu > Settings > Reset and clean up, click on ‘Restore their settings to their original defaults.
- Next, use Chrome Cleanup tool integrated into Chrome browser: Menu > Settings > Reset and Cleanup > Clean up computer and click ‘Find’ button.
- Create a new Chrome profile and see if the issue has been solved or recurring.
- Scan your computer with AdwCleaner, following with Malwarebytes, and remove threats, if any, found, malware might also cause this to happen.
- Try disabling Adobe PDF Extension in Chrome and see if that prevents the issue.
- By any chance, If you’re getting a black border around text boxes like shown below, this is due to the accessibility feature you’ve enabled in Chrome.
Visit Settings > Advanced> Accessibility and toggle “Show a quick highlight on the focused object”.
Note: The black boxes appearing on different spots on numerous pages bug has been fixed by Google in Chrome 67. You may be seeing that again, follow each step and verify the issue present when you visit affected websites.
Are you affected by this issue? Let us know in the comments below.