Mozilla is working on to bring a new Password Manager for Firefox browser called as Lockwise, currently available as a desktop add-on. The company plans to initially allow users to test Lockwise by installing the extension, but built-in Password Manager UI will be made available for pubic eventually once the work on it is complete.
The organization is polishing login manager UI and has added “password generation” feature, which you can enable and test to see how it works. Before that, you should know Firefox built-in Login Manager, Firefox Lockwise can be enabled by toggling a pref in about:config.
1. For that, in the Nightly version, visit about:config
2. Find the pref
signon.management.page.enabled and change its value to “true” and visit about:logins page to see the new UI.
Do note the login manager UI offered by Lockwise via desktop add-on and the Firefox browser are different.
To Enable Password generation for Lockwise in Firefox browser
1. Ensure you’re using latest Firefox Nightly version
2. Visit about:config, accept the risk
3. Search for generation and Toggle the following preferences
4. Now visit Facebook homepage ( don’t sign into it), click on new password field available for a new account sign up form to see the newly generated password by Lockwise, click on it to select and password field will be filled with that.
Since the feature in early testing Firefox won’t prompt you to save the generated password.
What’s your take on these password manager improvements?