You’ve pressed the Win key or clicked the Start button on Windows 10 to open Start Menu, but nothing happens, Start menu simply doesn’t open. Running Start Menu Troubleshooter revealed Tile database has been corrupted, but the troubleshooter is unable to fix the issue. So how do you fix tile database is corrupt issue, so that start menu opens normally? We’ve sorted out that, find out below.
Fix Start Menu in Windows 10 doesn’t open due to Corrupted Tile Database
1.The first thing to try when Start Menu or Cortana doesn’t work (note:we’re not sure the PowerShell command in the link fixes the issue or not, you can try though) is restart computer or sign out and sign back in to see the issue gets resolved.
Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del combination
Find Windows Explorer and click Restart
Now check start menu opens or not. In our case, it opened for one time, and stopped after that. So that worked partially.
Windows 10 Start Menu Troubleshooter
To troubleshoot issues related to opening of Start Menu or Cortana, Microsoft offers Start Menu Troubleshooter, download it from here and save to your computer.
- Run the troubleshooter, and ensure ‘Apply repairs automatically’ is checked under Advanced in the wizard.
2. If the tool fails to automatically fix the issue after performing various checks, but says problems found and highlights ‘Tile database is corrupt’, close the Start Menu troubleshooter window and follow the below instructions.
Fix Start Menu Tile database is corrupt issue
1. Press Win key +R to open Run dialog, type cmd and press enter
2. Once command window opens, right click on its icon on taskbar, hover over ‘Command Prompt’, right click and select ‘Run as administrator’.
Note: See the below screenshot to understand what I am saying.
3. In the command window, copy and paste the below command and press enter
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
The process may take a while wait for the Deployment and Management tool to finish. Once command window displays ‘the operation completed successfully’, run this after that,
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Once you see ‘The restore operation completed successfully’ message, restart Windows and try to open Start Menu, it will, without any issues. This is a self help guide, the fix has worked for me.
We have faced this on Windows 10 version 1803 (April 2018 Update) device, we’re not sure what caused this issue.
Also SEE: Fix Store App doesn’t open in Windows 10