Put an end to the countless number of “Google Drive for desktop coming soon” notifications and switch to the new Drive client right now by saying goodbye to Backup and Sync from Google. Here is an offline installer or direct download link for “Drive for desktop ” for Windows and Mac.
What is Google Drive for Desktop?
If you own a Google Account, you can use Google Drive to save your files offline.
Google provides 15 GB of storage for its file sharing service. Everything you upload and backup to Drive will count and adds to existing storage.
This July 2021, Google announced, Drive for Desktop as one unified sync client to sync content across the devices and cloud.
Most users access files in Google Drive on web browsers or smartphones through the apps. Some, want to access files as if they are saved locally to the device.
- new Drive for Desktop for Windows and Mac lets you access content from desktop.
- It also assists to quickly access files and folders from a location you know much better.
- Drive for Desktop avoids the time you need to wait for files to sync by automatically syncing local files to the cloud.
- It saves your network bandwidth and frees disk space as it lets you access content straight from the cloud.
Google said, beginning from Aug 18, Backup and Sync client users will be informed through a notification to move to Google Drive for desktop.
Apparently, this notification is now showing up.
Users still on the Backup and Sync client on October 1, will no longer be able to sign in and need to transition to the new client
“Google Drive for desktop is coming soon.
The update will make it faster and easier to back up Google Photos and sync with Google Drive”.
The notification is just fine but it has no value as It doesn’t provide an option that takes you to Drive for the desktop download page.
Download Drive for desktop offline installer/direct download link
Points to take note of before installing Google Drive for Desktop on Windows/ Mac
- Don’t uninstall Backup and Sync, Google Drive for the desktop will take care of that for you.
- Download and run GoogleDrivesetup.exe/GoogleDrive.dmg and follow the instructions on the screen. Review and confirm settings of folders from Backup and Sync.
Have you moved from Backup and Sync to Drive for Desktop yet? Let us know in the comments below
More on Google Drive: