With AVG 2014, AVG Technologies has made the file shredder feature, a part of free AVG antivirus. This feature, allows users to securely/ permanently delete files and folders, this means the files deleted in this way cannot be recovered by advanced recovery tools. While AVG 2016 has offered an option in Settings to disable AVG Shredder in Windows Context menu, this is no longer the case in AVG 2018, which has been released after Avast acquisition and FYI, AVG now uses Avast engine, User interface and other technologies.
If you don’t find much use with file Shredder in AVG and if you want to remove it, which also gets rid of ‘Shred using AVG‘ from Context Menu, you can here is how that can be done.
Before doing that, if you don’t know how to shred files or folders if you use AVG, here is how.
Using File Shredder in AVG
Ensure you’re using latest AVG Free Antivirus 2018 on your computer
- Right click on a file or folder and select ‘Shred using AVG’
- Click ‘Shred it’
To shred files in Recycle Bin,
- Right click on Recycle Bin and select ‘Shred Recycle Bin using AVG’
Now we’re going to remove File Shredder feature from AVG, which also removes ‘Shred using AVG’ and Shred Recycle Bin using AVG’ context menu options.
Remove AVG File Shredder and ‘Shred using AVG’ option from Context Menu in Windows
1. Open Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features
2. Select AVG Antivirus Free
3. Click Change, once AVG Free Setup dialog displays, click ‘Change’
4. Uncheck or deselect ‘File Shredder’ and click Change
5. AVG makes the changes you’ve requested and asks to restart computer to apply the changes, do so.
To re-enable File Shredder and its options on the right click menu, you need to reverse the change in the 4th step above.