Prevent AVG from auto-updating by disabling its definition and program update schedule tasks. AVG Free antivirus automatically updates virus definitions and program update, they’re pre-configured in such a way in Settings. If you want to disable AVG automatic updates due to slow internet connection or downloading and installing updates taking longer time than expected, follow the steps below.
Stop AVG from automatic updating
Disabling AVG definition and program update scheduled tasks
1. Open AVG user interface, click Options > Advanced Settings > Schedules, select’ Definition Update Schedule’ and uncheck ‘Enable this task’, click ‘OK’.
2. While you’re expanded Schedules on left, select ‘Program Update Schedule’ and untick ‘Enable this task’, click ‘OK’ to apply the changes.
Note: AVG warn you when you disable database updates in its program window with ‘You are not fully protected Update Manager: Database Update is disabled.’ clicking ‘Fix Now’ will re-enable the definition update schedule task but not the program update schedule task.
We suggest you to keep the database update enabled. This article applies to AVG Free antivirus 2015.
May 9. 2017 Update: If you’re using AVG 2017 or later (uses Avast technologies)
1. Open AVG and launch ‘Antivirus Free’
2. Click on Menu and choose ‘Settings’
3. Select ‘Update’ and set ‘Manual Update’ for Virus Definitions and Program Settings.
ALSO SEE: How to Restore AVG Default Settings