Though Malwarebytes is a replacement to Antivirus, it does play nice with antivirus installed on Windows and works along with it without any issues. When you install Malwarebytes, it doesn’t register itself as antivirus, now on Windows 10 version 1903, this is not the case, both Malwarebytes Premium and Windows Defender are getting turned off. This was an error on side of Malwarebytes, the company is aware of this and addressed it in 3.8 beta, if you’re using the affected version 3.7 here is what you need to do to fix the issue.
If you now install Malwarebytes Premium 126.96.36.19939 on Windows 10 1903 a notification will appear in Action Center informing you that “Windows Defender Antivirus and Malwarebytes are both turned off” and suggests user to “tap or click to see installed antivirus apps”.
If you visit Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & Threat Protection,
You’ll notice Windows Security reporting “Malwarebytes is turned on”, which is not the intended or expected result, Windows Defender should have been enabled even with Malwarebytes running in the background.
To fix this
1. Open Malwarebytes
2. Click on Settings > Application,
3. Under Windows Action Center, choose “Never register Malwarebytes in Windows Action Center”
A notification will now be displayed saying “Virus protection is turned off. Tap or click to turn on Windows Defender Antivirus”, do so, or after some time or when you restart the computer, Windows Defender will automatically kick in.
Malwarebytes released a new Malwarebytes beta 3.8 build 2950 to resolve this issue.
Malwarebytes 3.8 beta
The changelog reads ” MB3 erroneously registers with Windows Security Center on Windows 10 1903″, you can download and test this beta from here.
We’re mentioning all the new features and major issues fixed with this beta release below
• Improved detection and remediation techniques
Major Bug Fixes
- Fixed: MBAMService connectivity issue in presence of 3rd party LSPs (Identity Cloaker, HideMyIP)
- Fixed: GSOD related to MWAC DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
- Fixed an issue where Web Protection would continue to block/unblock whitelisted URLs until the machine was rebooted
- Fixed an issue where Web Protection could interfere with IPv6 connectivity
- Fixed: MB3 erroneously registers with Windows Security Center on Windows 10 1903
- Fixed: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a) BSOD that occured during rootkit scan
- Fixed: minor issues with multi-language support
Are you affected?