Creating a shortcut for the device manager is dead simple. When you open device Manager on Windows, the Operating System doesn’t allow you to add a shortcut to the desktop or pin it to the taskbar. If you’re wondering, here are the most common ways of accessing the Device Manager on Windows 10 or Windows 11:
- Press start, type device manager, and select the best match displayed in the results
- Right-click on This PC on the desktop and choose to Manage and select Device Manager
- You can also open the device manager by typing “devmgmt.msc” command in the Run dialog.
Except for the Run dialog method, the other two ways mentioned are too long or require a lot of steps, how about creating a shortcut for device Manager when you use it more often? Here is how that can be done easily without much hassle.
Create a Shortcut to Device Manager on the desktop in Windows 11 and Windows 10
1. Right-click on desktop, New > Shortcut
2. Type devmgmt.msc, click Next
3. Give a name for the Shortcut as Device Manager, click ‘Finish’, done.
Whenever you need to open Device Manager, click on the shortcut we created just now, simple!.
When to use the device manager shortcut?
As said above, you can use it whenever needed.
There are times when you need to troubleshoot issues with the hardware components. For instance, if Windows is showing an error for the network icon in the notification area, you may want to fix the issue by opening the device manager and scanning for hardware changes for the network adapter as it was showing the yellow exclamation mark.