A corrupt Outlook data file (PST) file can create various issues with the application. When the file gets damaged or corrupted, you cannot send or receive emails. Moreover, you are not be able to access past emails and other mailbox items, such as contacts, calendars, reminders, tasks, and more. Therefore, it is important to repair the damaged or corrupted Outlook data file. In this article, we will discuss some manual methods to repair the damaged Outlook data file. But before exploring these methods, let’s take a look at the common reasons that can cause corruption in Outlook data file (PST).
Common Reasons for Outlook Data File Corruption
Some common reasons include:
- Hard Disk Issues: PST files are stored locally on your system. If the hard disk of the system gets corrupted, the data across the hard disk may also get damaged or corrupted.
- Large-sized PST File: The Outlook PST file can hold up to 50 GB of data but 20 GB is the safe limit. If the file exceeds this size, there are higher chances of file corruption.
- Malware or Virus Infection: Malware or any other malicious software infection can damage or corrupt the Outlook data file.
- Outlook Closes Abruptly: When the Outlook is closed abruptly, the data file might get damaged.
- Network Connectivity Issues: A problematic network connection can cause synchronization issues and file corruption.
Methods to Repair the Damaged or Corrupt Outlook Data File
Here are some solutions to repair the corrupted Outlook data file.
Method #1 – Use Inbox Repair Tool
The Inbox Repair Tool, also known as SCANPST.exe, in Outlook is designed to fix corruption issues in Outlook data file. Below are the steps to use the Inbox Repair Tool:
- Step 1: Locate Scanpst.exe on your system and run the tool as administrator. The location of scanpst.exe may vary depending on the version of your Outlook application and operating system.
- Step 2: Select the Outlook data file that needs to be repaired by clicking on the Browse option. Click Start to scan the file.
- Step 3: If there are any errors, you will be prompted to start the repair process. You can press Details to get more information about the corruption. Click Repair to initiate the file repair process.
- Step 4: A dialog box will appear with the Repair Complete message. Click OK to close it.
Now, you can try to open the Outlook program.
Method #2 – Use an Advanced Outlook PST Repair Software
If the Scanpst.exe fails to repair the Outlook data file (PST), an advanced PST file repair software like Stellar Repair for Outlook can help you repair the file without any hassle. This software can repair severely corrupted Outlook PST files, of any size. It restores all the Outlook data file contents, such as emails, contacts, attachments, tasks, and calendars. Moreover, it can also help you recover the accidentally deleted emails. Here is how to use Stellar Repair for Outlook:
- Step 1: Download and install Stellar Repair for Outlook. Then, launch the software. It will automatically list the PST files on your system, when you click the List Profiles option. You can also click Choose Manually option to select the corrupted PST file.
- Step 2: After selecting the PST file, click Repair to initiate the file repair process.
- Step 3: The software will start the repair process and displays the progress status.
- Step 4: Once the repair process is completed, a Repair Complete dialog box will be displayed for confirmation.
- Step 5: In the preview window, you can view and find the email messages, contacts, calendars, and other items.
- Step 6: You can also use the Find Message option in the toolbar to conduct powerful searches. It allows you to search using different fields, such as To, From, Subject, and Date.
- Step 7: To save the repaired file, click on the Save Repaired File icon in the toolbar. This will display a Save As dialog box. You can choose to save the file in PST or any other format, such as MSG, PDF, EML, HTML, or RTF.
Note: You can also check the Do Not Recover Deleted Items checkbox. If you omit adding deleted items to the repaired PST file, it can save significant space within the restored file. This option should only be used when you need the previously deleted items.
When Outlook data files get corrupted, it can lead to various issues. Some common reasons for Outlook data file damage or corruption include hard disk issues, oversized PST file, malware infection, power outage, and network connectivity issues. However, the damaged PST file can be repaired using the Inbox Repair Tool. But the best way to repair damaged Outlook data file (PST) is by using Stellar Repair for Outlook. It can repair the damaged PST file and restore all the Outlook data into a new PST file that can be easily accessed in Outlook.