We’ve covered How to play videos with special effects in VLC Player, that’s really fun. These days richest video format being played is MP4 format, a lot of users depend on commercial software to convert video files to such format, but the free, open-source VLC player can convert any video file (format) to MP4.
Convert any Video file to MP4 using VLC Player
Before converting of video to MP4, make sure you are using the latest version of the VLC player.
- Open the VLC player,
- Click on the Media menu, select Convert/Save (or use Ctrl +R),
2. In the “Open Media” window, under the “File selection” of the File tab,
Click ‘Add ‘to add the Video file you want to convert to MP4 format.
After adding a video file, click “convert/save” and a window opens showing source and destination file paths.
3. In the Conver window, click ‘Browse’ under ‘Destination‘ and name the “Destination File” name as desired with mp4 extension and click ‘Save’
4. Opposite to Profile under Settings, choose Video-H.264+ MP3 (Mp4) format as shown in the figure.
Besides the chosen mp4 format, select “edit profile settings” which appears when you hover over the wrench icon, and, under the Encapsulation, tab select ‘MP4/MOV‘ and save the changes.
5. Click ‘Start’ for the VLC player to begin the conversion to an MP4 file, after the conversion, the VLC player saves the converted file in the destination file path.
Using the above steps, we’ve successfully converted a WebM and MKV file to MP4, you can also do that as well. The process may take time and depends on the size of the Media file.
Note: This article has been updated with new information and screenshots.
Summary: Here, we’ve covered how to convert a video file of format MKV or WebM to MP4 format using VLC Media Player.