When you update Chrome, sometimes, the browser is known to show profile error dialog — like profile can not be used because it is from a newer version of Google Chrome …..Chrome may also display an error after installing the update in certain circumstances: ‘profile error occurred: something went wrong when opening your profile. Some features may be unavailable‘. If the error appears once and never comes back, that’s fine. If the issue persists on every startup of Chrome, then try the below ones to fix the issue.
Fixing Chrome’s profile error occurred message
1. Restart your computer, launch Chrome and see if the error appears again.
2. Uninstall Chrome and reinstall it.
3. Ensure Chrome is not running, navigate to the following location using the Run command, find web data file and delete it.
4. Create a new profile: Visit following location by using the Run dialog and rename the ‘Default’ folder to something else.
Windows XP – %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data
For Vista/7/8/10 – %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\
5. Antivirus installed on your computer could be another suspect. Disable the antivirus temporarily or if the option is not provided in AV, uninstall it and see if the issue persists.