Microsoft has released .NET Framework 4.6.1 and Visual Studio 2015 update 1 and are available to download from MS Download Center. You can install .NET framework 4.6.1 on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, no word on whether it will be made available via Windows update to Windows users. You can check .NET Framework on your Windows 10 machine.
“The Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 is a highly compatible, in-place update to the Microsoft .NET Framework 4, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 and Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6“.
What’s new in .NET Framework 4.6.1
- WPF improvements for spell check, support for per-user custom dictionaries and improved touch performance
- Enhanced support for Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm (ECDSA) X509 certificates
- Added support in SQL Connectivity for AlwaysOn, Always Encrypted and improved connection open resiliency when connecting to Azure SQL Database
- Azure SQL Database now supports distributed transactions using the updated System.Transactions APIs
- Many other performance, stability, and reliability related fixes in RyuJIT, GC, WPF and WCF.
Visit this page for complete changelog.
Download .NET framework 4.6.1 final
Offline installer link | 65 MB
Web Installer Link | 1.3 MB
Note: .NET 4.6.1 might already have been installed and present on November update installed Windows 10 machines, if you try to install it anyway, it’s installation will be blocked showing the same reason, for which you don’t need to worry about.