Avast Free Antivirus 2015 R3 has been released with the inclusion of HIPS and improved Windows 10 support. This release includes Avast Cleanup formerly known as GrimeFighter. It is not just a name change, Avast software has rebuilt it, which now completely runs in Windows instead of Linux, this avoids booting or rebooting outside of Windows.
Avast Cleanup or GrimeFighter no way useful to non-licensed users
Cleanup now takes minutes or seconds to resolve the issues when compared to GrimeFighter. Avast claims their tool now shows details about the issues it has detected even for the non-licensed users. What’s the use? You need to purchase a license to repair those.
You can remove Cleanup from Avast if you found it redundant, here is how.
How to remove Cleanup from Avast
1. Open Control Panel > Programs and Features > Programs
2. Select ‘Avast Free Antivirus’, click ‘Change’ and continue when Setup window appears on the screen
3. Next step, uncheck or remove tick mark for ‘Cleanup’ and click on ‘Continue’
4. Avast setup makes the changes you’ve requested and prompts you to restart computer after that, do that.
5. After system restart, your computer is free from Avast Cleanup.
Note: When you upgrade to R3 version, GrimeFighter will be automatically upgraded and replaced with Cleanup.
UPDATE: If you don’t want to remove it, here is how you can disable or turn it off.
1. Open Avast user interface, click on Settings icon
2. In the Settings > Tools, switch the slider to off for ‘Cleanup‘.
3. Restart your computer for the changes to apply.