Last week is full of confusion about free Windows 10 for insiders, in the end, Gabe cleared installing preview build doesn’t give a valid Windows 10 license, you need to upgrade from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 for that. Today, Microsoft has released a new Windows 10 build 10158 to the insiders and is now available via Windows Update. This build includes Microsoft Edge branding and new features for it as well.
What’s new in Windows 10 build 10158
- It’s all about Edge browser not Project Spartan in this build. This build comes with Microsoft Edge branding.
- Home button is now available, you can add it to browser UI, Settings >advanced Settings > Enable “show the home button”
- You can now import bookmarks from other browsers into Microsoft Edge.
- New Startup options
- Added Password and form-fill support. Edge now lets you manage passwords for websites.
- Audio from Edge plays while the app is minimized or in the background
- Ability added to drag and drop tabs to a new window
- Added dark theme.
- You can set the New Tab page to show top sites and suggested content or just top sites
Improvements to the taskbar, updates to cortana
“On the Taskbar, when an app needs your attention, it will now flash in orange. And when you download something or move files around in File Explorer, the progress animation in the Taskbar has been changed back to green and back to animating horizontally (instead of white and animating vertically seen in the previous build – thanks for the feedback!).”
Cortana has dark theme in this build, you can ask cortana to send an email (needs an internet connections and works for U.S (English) for now): say whom you want to send the email, the subject and the matter also, Cortana will send it for you.
Photos app got an update in this build, features animated GIF viewer, yep! it now shows animated GIFs and offers ‘Open With’ button.
Snipping Tool now lets you delay capture of pop-ups for 5 seconds.
Insider Hub isn’t available, you can turn it on by visiting Settings > System > Apps & Features> Manage Optional features > Add a feature > Insider Hub entry.
There aren’t any known issues for this build as Gabe Aul and his team aware of.