After installing Avast free antivirus 2015, if you’ve noticed a mftutil.exe process with the description avast mft utility running constantly and consuming too much memory in the task manager, you can’t end that process, you’ll get access denied message, here is what you’ve to do to stop it.
What is the Avast mft utility?
mftutil.exe process belongs to NG and runs from the location C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\ng. Usually this after the creation of image will stop automatically and this happens only once, which may take 10 to fifteen minutes, if not or if you see it running daily eating the precious system resources, then you may need to uninstall NG component from Avast, here is how you can do that.
- Avast 2015 Beta 2 Adds ‘Avast NG’ and GrimeFighter Free Features
- What to do when instup.exe (Avast Antivirus installer) runs for longer time?
Removing NG from Avast or stopping mftutil.exe aka Avast mft Utility
1. Open Control Panel > Programs and Features > select ‘Avast Free Antivirus’ and click on ‘Change’
2. Once the Avast setup dialog opens, click on ‘Continue’, on the next step, remove tick mark for NG’, and click ‘Continue’
3. NG will be uninstalled and the Avast mft utility will be removed also.
Note: aswFe.exe is another process related to NG, if you’ve problems with that too, then you can follow the above instructions to get rid of it.
Please share this article