RARLABs has released Beta 1 of WinRAR 5.20 and is available to download for testing. If UAC prevents WinRAR archiving or extracting commands to create files in system Protected folders, then (from this version onwards)WinRAR starts a second copy of it with admin privileges to complete the operation, here, you still need to allow UAC to run a second copy of WinRAR.
December 2, 2014 update: WinRAR 5.20 final version has been released, you can download it from here.
WinRAR 5.20 Beta
1. If you want to install WinRAR on a USB drive and then run it on multiple computers, then, you may not want WinRAR to store its data and settings in registry on those computers, to prevent that happening, you can create a winrar.ini file in WinRAR executable folder or ‘%APPDATA%/WinRAR’ folder.
2. Extraction support for ZIP and ZIPX archives has been added using XZ compression algorithm.
3. After installing this WinRAR version, you can notice ‘Open with WinRAR’ command in context menu for WinRAR supported archives. You can find this option added here: Settings > Integration > ‘Integrate WinRAR into Shell’
4. In Multi-user environments, Benchmark command might be used to abuse shared computational resources, to prevent that, you can disable benchmark command by navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WinRAR or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WinRAR and create a new ‘Policy’ key and create a new DWORD value ‘Benchmark’ on the right pane and set its value to ‘0’.
- How to install Themes in WinRAR
- AutoWinRarZip Extracts Files from Archives Automatically Whenever You Download Them
Download WinRAR 5.20 Beta 1 32-bit | 1.68 MB
Download WinRAR 5.20 Beta 1 64-bit | 1.84 MB
Please share this article