The extra step, which requires you to enter a security code from your mobile phone on Bitly website adds extra layer of protection to your account. Bitly, URL Shortening service has launched 2-step verification security feature for all their users. After logging into your account, you can find this option under the Security tab. Till now, popular sites like Google (for Gmail), Twitter, Microsoft (for outlook.com), Dropbox and LinkedIn have offered this feature, Bitly has joined them now.
"At Bitly, we’re dedicated to protecting the security of our free users and our Bitly Brand Tools customers. This dedication is the reason why we’re excited to announce the launch of 2-Step Verification as an enhanced security feature. We’ll be joining companies like Google, Twitter, Dropbox and Microsoft, among others, who have introduced 2-Step Verification for their users." Dan Touchette, product management director at Bitly said in a blog post.
- How to Enable and Disable Twitter Login Verification for your Account
- Enable Two-Step Verification for Your Dropbox Account Now
Enabling Two-Step verification for your Bitly account
1. Sign in to Bitly account with your username and password,
2. Click on your name, select Settings, and click on ‘Security’ tab or visit this link in your browser
3. Click on the Enable button under ‘2-step verification’ header, select your country, enter your phone number and click on ‘Send Code’ to receive the code.
4. After receiving the security code on your mobile, enter it on Bitly and click ‘enable 2-step‘.