Chrome asks to disable Extensions installed in developer mode

by Venkat eswarlu on December 18, 2013

in Google Chrome,News

Chrome on Windows already doesn’t allow extension installs from other websites except Chrome web store by showing error ‘Apps, extensions and user scripts cannot be added from this website’, you can still overcome it and install third-party extensions in browser by dragging and dropping crx extension in your computer onto chrome://extensions page.

Starting from January 2014 onwards this no longer works, Windows Chrome Stable and beta channels only allows extensions hosted in web store. However still there is a way: developer mode. Developer mode aimed for developers and power users allows install of unpacked extensions, here is how that can be done.

Installing Chrome extensions from outside web store in developer mode

1. Once you’ve downloaded desired extension from developer website, open Windows Explorer, Tools>Folder Options>remove tick mark for ‘Hide extensions for known file types’ and click OK.

2. Rename extension.crx to extension.zip and click ‘OK’ without worrying about warning showed on screen.

3. Extracts its contents to a new folder.

4. Now open Chrome, visit its extensions page, enable ‘developer mode’, click ‘Load unpacked extension.., browse for extension folder, select it and click ‘OK’.

That extension will be installed, all this may sound difficult for novice users but there is no way except this.

Now what?

Chrome: ‘Disable developer mode extensions’

Chrome on Windows in beta and stable channels soon to warn for extensions installed in developer mode and asks users to disable them. Here is the complete text of that warning

"Disable developer mode extensions

Extensions running in developer mode can harm your computer. If you’re not a developer, you should disable these extensions running in developer mode to stay safe " with disable and Cancel options.

Chrome disable developer mode extensions warning thumb Chrome asks to disable Extensions installed in developer mode

If you click ‘Disable’ all extensions you’ve installed using above procedure in developer mode will be disabled, you can still enable them later from extensions page. If you click ‘Cancel’ that pop up goes away without making any changes to chrome or extensions installed in it.

Thanks to Francois.

John Kisha February 7, 2014 at 7:25 am

How do you disable that damn “Disable developer mode extensions” popup warning PERMANENTLY? It keeps popping up EVERY TIME YOU OPEN THE BROWSER. In my particular case, I’m using a third party plugin called “RoboForm” and I do not want to disable it, it’s my password manager, and I don’t want to have to constantly click Cancel to close that warning popup. :(

Thanks,

John

Venkat eswarlu February 8, 2014 at 5:31 pm

You can’t, Google don’t want to give chance for malware writers with that.

szabi February 22, 2014 at 2:01 pm

I’m not a malware writer, I’m a developer running my own extensions. What is this shit?

Kat February 22, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Is is possible to get rid of the warning: “Disable developer mode extensions” that pops up for Roboform by going to the web store and downloading Roboform Lite? I have never used Roboform Lite, as I bought Roboform from Roboform. It sucks that Chrome refuses to allow a program you paid for, to install an extension….

Charles Pendrigh February 23, 2014 at 3:41 am

They want to ban some of the applications I use. This is the end of Chrome for me.

Alex Stratford February 23, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Yep, bye bye Google. I am reasonably PC proficient (i.e can follow instructions of techies), but do not like spending time sorting out peculiarities.
Let us hope the Robots Google build are less annoying and than their browsers and less worrisome then their search engine.
Discovered three years of past browsing history on their servers, so it was bye bye Google search a few weeks ago. Use Startpage and Tor now.
Any recommendations, anyone, for a browers that browse, that does not interfere with things? I, like others on this page use Roboform. Nothing fancy.

Hari Varrier April 10, 2014 at 2:10 pm

This developer notification is way too annoying. Isnt there any way to stop being notified?

Venkat eswarlu April 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Not that I aware of.

Ashesh August 10, 2014 at 9:53 am

I have downloaded a third party extension which is in zip format inside.it i see a file with an .app extension, how to install it

Venkat eswarlu August 10, 2014 at 11:07 am

Be cautious while downloading extensiosn from sites other than chrome web store, downloaded extensions should have crx format, make sure you’ve downloaded the right file.