Chrome web store now has dedicated tool –Chrome Apps Developer Tool– for Chrome extensions and apps developers that to offer better experience than developer mode available on Chrome://extensions which lets you unpack extensions and apps and do many more things.
"Today, we are improving this experience by introducing the new Chrome Apps Developer Tool, available now in the Chrome Web Store, which adds some great new features and works as a standalone Chrome App itself: In addition to a much cleaner and easier-to-use layout, the new tool provides all of the same functionality as the chrome://extensions tab while streamlining the developer workflow" Chromium blog post reads.
Chrome Apps Developer Tool
When compared to developer Mode on Chrome://extensions tab this app
- Lists apps and extensions as separate tabs, advantage of this being avoids confusion for developers and reduces the size of each list and faster to scroll.
- Unpacked items and installed items are now listed separately.
- Lets you individually update specific apps and extensions with a single click.
- The common actions for each item, such as reload, launch, view permissions, pack, and uninstall, are located right next to that item for fast access.
- The app provides search box on top of right page which filters list in real-time.
You need to sign into Google account to install this app, after installing it you can launch it from chrome://apps page or click on "Apps" icon on bookmarks bar to reach there. If you’re using old New Tab Page, you can launch it from the same page.