Microsoft Security Essentials installed on your computer not updating virus and spyware definitions released by Microsoft automatically by showing errors?, try these methods and we hope at least one might work. Installing latest virus and spyware definitions for MSE is important, so that it detects new threats on your computer and protects you. But MSE makes sure to keep its definitions up-to-date by working with Microsoft Update.
Fixing Microsoft Security Essentials Update Issues
The methods we’re suggesting below applies for following conditions
- You receive updates failed error messages
- Upon checking for updates, you’ll get an error message saying that the virus and spyware definition updates can’t be downloaded, or installed.
- Updates will fail even though you’re connected to internet.
- Updates won’t be automatically installed as scheduled.
If you’ve already connected to internet and updates for MSE not installed automatically, then follow the below solutions.
I. Reset Internet Explorer settings
1. Close all programs if any opened including Internet Explorer and open its options by entering inetcpl.cpl in Run command box
2. Once Internet Options dialog opens, click on Advanced tab, and click on Reset button at the bottom.
Now open MSE and click on Update tab and click on update button, if the problem exists go to next step.
II. Set Internet Explorer as default browser
1. Open Run command using Win+ R and enter inetcpl.cpl
2. Click on Programs tab and click on “Make default” button.
Now try to update MSE and if it doesn’t help go to next step.
III. Make sure Your PC’s date and time are set correctly
Incorrect date and time does affect some programs functionality in Windows, if you encounter Windows update error 0x80072F8F then it is because of that, make sure your Windows clock is showing correct date and time. You can use use Fix it Tool for System Maintenance offered by Microsoft for that.
Now check Updates for MSE, if problem not resolved go to next step.
IV. Stop and start Automatic update service, Rename Software distribution folder
Open Service console by typing services.msc in Run command and press enter.
Find Automatic Update Service, double click to open its Properties, click on Stop button.
Renaming software distribution folder:
Open command prompt by using cmd in Run dialog and press enter.
Type cd %windir% and press enter.
Type ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistributionTemp and press enter.
Now open Services console and start Automatic Update Service again.
Reset the Microsoft antivirus update engine on your PC
1. Open command prompt as administrator and run following commands one by one
- Cd program files\microsoft security essentials
- Mpcmdrun –removedefinitions –all
Now to try to Update MSE again, if problem persists there is no other way than installing definitions manually.
Microsoft Security Essentials Virus and spyware definition updates direct download links
If above solutions doesn’t help you, try to download MSE definitions from below direct downloads
Please share this article