Public Chat Rooms for Yahoo Messenger to be Discontinued on Dec 14

by Venkat eswarlu on December 1, 2012

in News

When was the last time you entered into a Public chat room from Yahoo Messenger, you won’t be able to after December 14 this year as Yahoo decided to discontinue Public Chat rooms and other features for its Messenger product. Other services to stop for Yahoo Messenger are Pingbox, interoperability with Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Voice Phone In and Phone Out feature.

Yahoo Discontinues Public Chat rooms, Pingbox and other services for Messenger

Seems as if Yahoo got inspired from Google decided to discontinue some features from its yahoo Messenger Product. “Sometimes, this means we have to make tough decisions — like closing down features that we feel aren’t adding enough value for you. This helps us spend more energy on creating experiences that make Yahoo! the most fun way to spend your time.”

“With this in mind, we have decided to discontinue several Yahoo! product features. This will enable us to refocus our efforts on modernizing our core Yahoo! products experiences and of course, create new ones. “

On December 14, 2012

• Public Chat rooms will be closed and Pingbox will no longer be available for you.
  • Recently Microsoft has phased out support for Windows Live Messenger and integrated into Skype, Yahoo Messenger will not work for MSN Messenger either.

“Effective January 30, 2013, we will no longer offer Yahoo! Voice Phone In and Phone Out capabilities, our co-branded landline and mobile phone service from Jajah”. Yahoo confirms “Free Messenger-to-Messenger calls will still be offered through Yahoo! Messenger”.

chuckee December 1, 2012 at 2:40 pm

so does it mean we cant access yahoo messenger and chat with our friends in our list anymore

Venkat December 2, 2012 at 10:16 am

No that’s not true, you can always access Yahoo messenger and chat with your friends inside it.

chu December 15, 2012 at 4:54 pm

its bad for yahoo……MSN did same & they are no where in market…..if yahoo will do it…same thing will happen with yehoo….so think on it yahooo.

kevin December 22, 2012 at 4:10 pm

any other site that offers the same features as yahoo to chat in a public room?

takatakata January 21, 2013 at 8:40 am

It’s called IRC. You should try it one day. It’s the oldest way to chat between peers online.

Tariq January 22, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Ofcz we can chat with our friends added in list.

kishanpatel December 1, 2012 at 3:21 pm

dont do this in favour of thousands of ur users its a wrong if u clsoe hw those pplzx get in connected who thy r connected frm ur yahoo messenger site and i dotn think there is any reason to close it
thanks

sunil December 1, 2012 at 3:50 pm

why the hell they are closing chat rooms ??? it is still popular and there is no alternative for this. I will miss public chat rooms.

matthew December 2, 2012 at 11:29 pm

yes there is alternatives its called paltalk messenger

Gray December 11, 2012 at 12:45 pm

That’s not an alternative to CHAT. That’s an alternative IM client, and Yahoo itself is still going to exist. Just not the chat service.

Mohamad December 29, 2012 at 1:35 am

Its about 15 years I’m using yahoo messenger just for public rooms!
it will badly effect me and other yahoo users.

Dark December 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Ahh comeoooon. Why are yahoo messing up their messenger? I use yahoo messenger for ages and i have live messenger contacts….goddamn….slowly every good product on the internet gets screwed up.

Arnold December 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm

We can chat only with friendlist contacts, or can chat with some whose yahoo id we know, we will not able to chat with strangers in this world, Very sad
I agree sunil there is no alternative to this

satyendra December 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm

right. yahoo public chat rooms is a wonderful place to meet people. its very sad they are closing it down. :(

nyheen December 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm

iam guessing they closing it down cause of the crazy spam bots
it way more bots on there then people, i will miss the chat rooms it been around for a long time, it will be missed

Marcella December 1, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I’ll believe it…when I see it. The simple fact is that this is like the Hostess scare. People weren’t thinking about Hostess until someone said it was going away. That weekend people spent tons of money on Twinkies when the ones on the shelf STILL hadn’t gone bad. Just like how no one was talking about Hostess, people aren’t thinking about Yahoo! as a search engine when compared to other companies and they just want some attention. If they threaten to take away the ONE feature that people actually use, then they’ll feel loved when those people scream out SAVE MY YAHOO! Bleh. When it happens, if it happens…you’ll be sad you’ll maybe even have to change how you talk to, meet up with and hang out with people for about 24 hours…until someone comes along and in the heat of the newly created love for Yahoo! “saves” the marketshare and reinvents the rooms. Just like I didn’t go stand in line for a bunch of Ding-Dongs, Ho hos and Twinkies…I’m not giving into the hype of Yahoo! The funny thing is if I go to the rooms and all they are talking about is how the rooms are going to be disappearing, I might just stop going to them all together as to prevent any serious (cough) impact to my life (sigh). Seriously Yahoo! if you wanted to get some attention why not give away some Hostess cakes? That might have brought joy to people…now you’re just a big old cry baby in my eyes and maybe at the end of the day…I won’t miss you. Thanks for making it easier.

Bill December 17, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Well, the chatrooms are gone. How do you feel about it now? Not so much nonsense after all!

spirit333_99 January 25, 2013 at 8:12 am

they gone them old chat rooms gone forever it seems,sigh i recall getting into them way back in 1996 ,oh well, lastime i was in one i noticed lots of bots,and i mean lots and no real ppl,so well,i guess that was the end of that

Fayaz Ahmad Bhat December 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I am grown up with Yahoo Messeger, even always am talking different peoples via online using chat rooms, I don’t know why Yahoo decided suddenly discontinued Public Rooms, what the hell is this….I will miss, it was good sort of communication to talk peoples around the world..Very Sad

Bud December 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm

yahop chat rooms are the only way to bring people t0gether don’t take that away from us you are hurting evey one.

Steve Carriere December 1, 2012 at 9:52 pm

It sucks the chat rooms are closing, but think about it..Yahoo has not been able to win the battle against the spammers and bots, who infiltrate all of their chat rooms and make it impossible for the common every day person to get in and chat publicly. Besides..PALTALK is far better when it comes to user chat rooms, and spam is expressely not allowed in there. So….while it seems a bad move for Yahoo, the reality is they are doing a good thing by shutting down this garbage.

Kristin December 4, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I tried PalTalk and cannot get it to work.

Keisha December 8, 2012 at 12:41 pm

PalTalk sucks anyways. You aren’t missing much.

Jenna Kaye December 1, 2012 at 11:23 pm

It’s great that yahoo’s closing down the public chat room. It means girls like me who don’t actually exist can no longer spam everyone, and those con men pretending to be ridiculously good looking and extorting money from the women will not be able to do it anymore. Good riddance.

rob t December 2, 2012 at 2:19 am

i disagree with you steve do you realize how over packed pal talks gonna be… an if you were a dedicated yahoo you would know that there are chat clients out there that help yahoo with spam…. there are alot of disabled people on yahoo that cant get out much that totally enjoy the company of people in yahoo.. me being 1 of them… when people start getting overwhelmed with the closing of yahoo..these people are going to be sorry… yahoo should make it a paid program that people can afford … paying each yr if they are worried about making a profit… an clean up the rooms… this is total… to take away these peoples enjoy… good luck yahoo… reading about these people in the news..

brandy December 6, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I totally agree with rob,many of the people on yahoo chat are disabled and cant get out.They make friends on chat and enjoy their time which they would otherwise be sitting alone and depressed.I have met people on here who were even dying of cancer and the yahoo people in chat brought them so much comfort and support in the past.If yahoo is so worried about money and not people,let them charge a fee that is resonable,maybe the morons who come to the rooms will just delete it themselves because they undoubtly do not have jobs to stay in rooms and mess them up all the time.

SS December 2, 2012 at 3:27 am

I will feel so sad and miss it too much. I spent many many times in Public room.

yahoo is fraud February 19, 2013 at 10:23 pm

i wish some one starts yahoo chat servi ce a serice similiar to yahoo for public.. Google should do it or .. .Msn ..You should do it for public good not for money mate.. are you listening ???

George Pajunen December 2, 2012 at 3:47 am

Well I won’t miss there liberal home page.Chatting I’ll miss but someone will see the need and fill the gap. If they want to cut there own throats let them cut it. Maybe they should sell a few stocks like facebook and lose there

mijanur December 4, 2012 at 9:45 pm

r8 u r…may de r exhausted wid da service..:-??

amirhasan rasoly December 2, 2012 at 5:06 am

plz noo :(

Michael December 2, 2012 at 5:29 am

As strange as it seems, I met my wife in Yahoo chatroom. We have been married 6 yrs and have two beautiful sons because of Yahoo. Sigh………..

Luis December 30, 2012 at 8:59 pm

not strange at all Michael, i met my girlfriend there and met many other friends all around the world, the spam bots were annoying but why not find a way to clear the spam rather than shutting the entire function?

qutab December 2, 2012 at 6:18 am

yahoo is not telling the valid reason for closing down the lobby chat ?

Kelly December 2, 2012 at 9:49 am

I can’t believe Yahoo is going to close down one of the most popular public chat places around. It totally sucks. It is such a great place to meet people from anywhere in the world, and now what will we do? We will be totally lost without it. It has been a place to escape to and talk with people with no strings attached. Yes there are tons of bots, but there are also lots of people out there who like to visit and become friends. What a totally horrible thing for Yahoo to do. Guess they really want to trash their services. What is next? Will they be closing down internet searching? Geez! Totally Sucks!

Venkat December 2, 2012 at 10:09 am

What is next? Will they be closing down internet searching?

Who is using Yahoo search these days, don’t forget it is powered by Bing now.

claire December 2, 2012 at 10:53 am

i cant believe all you guys have been using it to make friends.. i havent been able to chat to anyone on yahoo chat for years, its just been guys wanting cyber hmm.. guess i wasnt looking in the right rooms. oh well.
and btw.. paltalk is just as bad if not worse for guys after one thing

yahoo user December 2, 2012 at 11:35 am

although yahoo is suffering of bots and spammers but theres nothing near of the yahoo chatroom popularity. if you talk about paltalk, well I used that for few years and I felt like a slave in chat rooms where we have to stay under the orders of the chat room owners or admins and have to get bounced from room whenever they wish (few times that happened just cause of I was not talking in the room cause I was away.).and in there all users are not on same row as paltalk took it as a business so if you spend money to upgrade then you can have more features. the free ids are in trouble, can’t view cams more than 5/10 sec(I forgot) and most of the times get behave from upgraded users like rich and poor people. On the otherhand, I feel so free and independent in yahoo chatrooms and feel good that everybody is equal to each other and no restrictions are there but can have own privacy too by setting the preferences.and I never saw any other messenger which can run well in low speeded internet connections,not skype not msn but yahoo does.I used yahoo chat rooms well with just 3kbps speed,can you imagine ? I wasn’t able to do so with any other chatrooms.
its really so sad that we’re gonna lose an internet hero so many of the users now may fall into other messengers’ business traps.don’t know if there any free messenger like yahoo would rescue us like a hero. lets see what happens,good luck of us…

JOhnybegood December 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I personally think that Yahoo has been sabotaged by the executives who run it. How? They want to get rid of it because it competes with other companies.
The chat bots rooms could of been defeated by not using java. There is your problem. Java did not have enough security. To defeat the bots we just needed a new security code update every couple of months outside of java.

It could of worked. The other thing is to get rid of the webcams to bring down the cost of it. Just voice only. :) It would of got rid of most of the scum element.

yahoo user December 3, 2012 at 7:25 am

I agree with you, its not impossible that few yahoo software engineers might be involved with other messengers which aren’t totally free, so to run their business well its required to make the most popular messenger (which is totally free) down and fall into trouble. I don’t know about java that how much security that can provide but its true theres other way to make it secured if the security plan doesn’t spread outside of yahoo team.

suzan December 18, 2012 at 2:40 am

you’re totally wrong . chatting is not the only thing a disable person can do or some one who has a terrible real life . all of us have many abilities which addiction to chat will make us forget that. i say it because i experienced it . i have seen a disable person who doesn’t have legs but he can paint ……. why do you limit yourself and your mind?

Joseph December 2, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I have been chatting in Yahoo public chat rooms for 12 years. Life will not be the same without it. If only there was a way to petition Yahoo. SAVE OUR CHAT ROOMS!

reach December 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Between 3rd party clients (no ads for Y!), the bots, the script kiddies, alternatives like PalTalk, expenses like developers, user support, servers, and the yahoo gangs “protecting” their rooms it makes sense. Personally, I think yahoo’s public chat rooms jumped the shark when the ability for users to create their own rooms went away a number of years ago…

neelam December 2, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I come yahoo for just chat, I opend yahoo ID just becouse I chat on yahoo, otherwise it is just scrap and hope my last Goodbye to yahoo on 14 Dec. , really its non sence decision of yahoo. Public chat is heart of yahoo masenger othrwise it is scrap. yahoo think same as Nokia and both compny will be History, microsoft killing both.

lindsay stewart December 2, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I believe many chatters use Yahoo messenger because they are unable to get out and about due to illness. This will be very disappointing for them, and people like them.
As for room gangs and booters, Gawd yer a sad bunch of weirdo’s Who will you all terrorize now? With no monitor to show how tuff and brave you all are.

Davo December 2, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Well if this is a scare for Yahoo Inc to feel some love……. When they do decide to re-invent Yahoo chat 2013, can they please have an IGNORE all outside traffic feature for users of said named chatroom of the country you the chatter lives in. Say if I am in a Vancouver chat room, the ability to ignore all non Canadian based chat/IP traffic ?

That would sort out a lot of the problems with Bots as most of that traffic is coming from the USA and South Asia…Add a user selected, external GEOGRAPHIC IP blocker button to yahoo chat rooms in the future and my yahoo experience would be amazing, as it really bugs me getting unsolicited messages from people that don’t even live where i do! Bugging me with ASL requests ( when my id says that already ) and BUZZ’s !!! I am sure I am not alone in this regard :)…

Walk and talk December 2, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Big Big Disappointment !!!!!!! :( :( :( What the hell Yahoo!! wanna prove with this !! there are tons of people using yahoo chat for there fun, friends and For a awesome Social Networking !! And Yahoo Chat Rooms always helped people to find out new people all around the world most of chatters found very good friend throw Yahoo chat ….
I m using yahoo since 12 years by now !! and i always loved it .. we meet new friends and talk voice chat with them … Chatting has been a main Attractive Service of yahoo 80% people use yahoo because of this chat rooms and voice chat and cams and if yahoo close this service i m dead sure they gonna lose 80% popularity !!!!!!!!! i can’t see any Valid Reason behind this step …. we never used yahoo as a search engine or for Emailing … Chat rooms was the one reason we used yahoo for 24 hrs !! but now if this happens We will feel alone and sad !! Don’t Do it Yahoo !!!!!!! :(( :((

spice December 3, 2012 at 12:23 am

Why dont u all email/phone yahoo and tell them not to shut chat rooms down
If enough ppl do it they will listen
this is there email adress from their web site
media-inquiries at yahoo-inc.com

Please email and tell others to do so. may be we can stop it

robin January 15, 2013 at 8:43 am

I don’t think Yahoo will listen to us- yahoo has given up on the the best and the most popular service that they were offering to its customers.I feel sure that they will lose a lot more customers because thousands depended so much on yahoo chat room ad they have let us down very badly. Please rethink yahoo and open up the chat room service again Robin

Ex YM User December 3, 2012 at 5:37 am

I don’t understand why half the messenger users complain about the chat rooms to begin with. Yahoo! has failed to control the bot problem over the years. Now they finally find a resolve by just closing down one of it’s most beneficial features? Bravo. I always assumed it was because of financial issues concerning their company… That’s Yahoo! Updates for you… 1 step forward and 5 steps back.

Really wish we could petition this

John December 3, 2012 at 9:41 am

I’m sure most of the people who think they’re cool stuff in the chatrooms will be disappointed once the chatrooms are removed. I think it’s a bad idea tho. Would be a good idea to just completely remove it and put up a brand new version of it to get rid of the bots. Nah, Just remove it and whore the yahoo! messenger program out to MSN. That’ll solve the problem.

Yay December 3, 2012 at 11:44 am

This is actually fantastic news. Do you know how many welfare losers in the USA, Canada, and the UK will have to end their miserable lives now because their entire existence revolved around spending 24/7 on Yahoo chat rooms.

bonnie December 3, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Maybe we should eliminate all the other social networks as well? you obviously lack the social skills to embrace the benefits of the yahoo chat community. and your comment seems to be based on a bad experience you may have had at some point. seems a bit closed minded to me.. tsk tsk.. * long live yahoo chat!*

Bonnie

sarah December 19, 2012 at 6:36 am

haha..I’m agree with you.

sahir January 20, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Yahoo chat is like a hobby for many of people including me also.
I dont know, how the people like me survive…

Raja December 4, 2012 at 1:51 am

I don’t know why yahoo is closing its chat room service and what they want to launch, any new skype type service, but I know that I have been using Yahoo chat room service for 10 years and despite the fact the facebook has got popularity but still Yahoo! Chat Room was our top priority for chatting. Yahoo Chat Room Chatting service has been a great and most popular service and I think that it is wrong decision to discontinue it.

alex December 4, 2012 at 4:18 am

well i have been using yahoo chat for last 13 years and now they want to close it down.dont get it on the other hand i feel so sad for iranian people that the only freedom that they have and loved is going to yahoo chat.now they suffer big time.is there any other chat like yahoo?no paltalk plz

Jordana December 4, 2012 at 8:19 am

I’m just so bummed UGH!! It happened all of a sudden!! That ticks me off even more. Yahoo Chat has been around for many, many years. Hell, I use it more than Fb. I like to get straight to the point with chatting and I get instant responds. That’s what I’ll miss the most. :( This can’t be happening!! Da*n. I really hope this is a hoax, or by next year Yahoo comes up with an even better chat feature!!! :) But, I doubt it :(

I’ll miss you Yahoo Chat…….. :(

xyz December 4, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Brilliant decision. You saved millions of marriages and relationships in india where inspite being committed either gals or guy go online in yahoo for online s-x chat and videos. Consider it! Great step.. I respect such a decision to ban these platforms that destroy humanity from a society and tempts people and even underage children to be indulged into illegal activities.

Andy December 7, 2012 at 11:02 am

If anyone wants to try to help stop it you can sign an online petition here:

paul December 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I think its a wonderful idea to close them I stoped going in them about 4 years ago I got tired of all the drama and back biting all the people fighting or people in there looking to hook up for either drugs or sex .
so many happy marriages destoryed because of the trash in chat .
great move love the idea of killing the chat room

sarah December 19, 2012 at 6:42 am

I’m agree with you Paul, but now all the losers are on facebook adding pics and imaginary friends, and just clicking I LIKE lol …in some years more hope to see that facebook has the same destiny

Todd December 9, 2012 at 2:17 am

both the messenger and the chat rooms could be cash cows for Yahoo, not just free services…..whomever manages the projects did not have the vision and probably not the upper management either, or no way would they have just did away with the services……not a good thing for Yahoo

Would You Pay December 9, 2012 at 3:47 am

How Many of You Would Pay $15 per Year to Keep Chat Open?

nope December 10, 2012 at 3:40 am

hell no

less December 9, 2012 at 5:10 am

Come on people
Can’t you see what has happened here !
Yhoo has probably made an investment in a site like paltalk where you have to pay to access most features.The meaning of free will be to just have access to an account that you cannot really use unless you cough up some$$$$$$$.
Rumours have been circulating for a few years now that this was yahoo’s plan .They do have to answer to the share holders after all.
Watch and see they will bring them back but you will have to pay for the service and governments will be watching your every conversation and move .

Vicky December 10, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Since yahoo is closing what is another good place to chat and cam? Please someone let me know where we all can go.

Brian December 11, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Heck, the chatrooms and Messenger are about the only reason to use Yahoo. It’s not good for anything else.

pawsaremagic December 12, 2012 at 11:38 am

Do a search for win bus messenger, it even has the same smileys and has a nice chatrooms,voice and will have cams soon and NO bots, you can even make your own rooms,and its free.

Saeed December 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I am so astonished that Yahoo! has decided to shut down the public chat room by 14th December, We are living in Iran and you don’t know how many people all around whole Iran are using Yahoo Public chat to enjoy and connect with other people.

If you want to do such this unbelievable decision believe us you will lose most of you users in lower than 1 Second.

I in behalf of Iranian People ask you to change your decision in any way you can.

Best Regards,

Saeed

Ping December 13, 2012 at 6:16 pm

That’s very good news !Yahoo public chat is closing down. yaay !

Josh December 14, 2012 at 5:32 am

I think it’s awesome othat yahell is shuttin down..Only becuse yahoo could not keep up with the idiots that ruin it for everyone..Now mr big bad booter and the ones that claimed to “ddos” everyone have to get a job instead of loggin in yahoo with the intent on being an ass.. I have wanted to slap the taste out of many ppl over the pat years. I did however meet the most amazing woman in a chatroom. so THANKS yahoo.I got what I needed.

Jack Tyme December 14, 2012 at 6:27 am

They may bring back chat in a few years or less. But the quality of people that use yahoo chat ( I mean the people that trash, boot, hack, scam etc ) is embarrassing for a company like yahoo to support. Especially for free. And not to mention the bots. So either they close it for good and everyone goes to another chat service, or in a few years they bring it back whether paid or still free…or yahoo gets bought out or closes all their services and evaporates into the net.

R.I.P Yahoo Chat – 1998 – 2012

Honey December 14, 2012 at 8:24 am

I think it is wrong to shut down the public chat rooms. It is a great medium to meet people. There are many people that are homebound where this is there own outlet to communicate with people. I hope yahoo continues their public room access.

Bill December 15, 2012 at 6:27 am

Well say goodbye yahoo. You have probably lost about three quarters of your users. Makes sense to shut down the only reason people use yahoo messenger. Guess u and hostess can get together.

claire December 15, 2012 at 7:30 am

there you go.. they have closed.. the option has gone from the drop down menu

shivendra December 15, 2012 at 10:09 am

i will feelll very sad without public chat room iske bina kya maja ayega chating me how we can bond with others

moresee December 15, 2012 at 10:15 am

dont do this without rooms people cant use yahoo it is abetter way to meet people around whole world plss dont stop this

redzrocks December 15, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Yahoo Inc. going bankrupt… All his free product is A good product, like email and mesengger..but who wanna pay the cost!!! 24-7 electricity power for server of yahoo mesengger chat room. its only the electric power for the light of his building, not the other things more costing. how much its cost for a month the pay their electricity to run the server??? how many years the operation does.. internet bill, building rent, staff salary, server maintainance etc. hahahahahahaha…. logic? going bankrupt… they need to OFF some server to save his money. :)

heyiamgenie December 15, 2012 at 6:57 pm

so sad, miss you and good bye ….

annu December 16, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Really its a very bad decision from yahoo.
Yahoo chat is like a drug addict hobby for many of the young and old people including me also.
I dont know, now how the people like me survive…

hafiz December 16, 2012 at 2:25 pm

it’s gone.. gonna miss it.

soumik December 16, 2012 at 4:18 pm

redrocks you are right…it also my opinion….Yahoo is going to Bankrupt…that’s why to save their money , closing public chat rooms.. ha ha ha lolz :)

vikram December 16, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Please start the yahoo chat rooms again

romeo December 16, 2012 at 9:46 pm

ohh cmon man bring back tht yahoo chatroomcoz yahoo is nothing without cahtroom

candygirl December 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Yahoo is always been a favorite among those who love chat rooms that makes it unique from the other site. By closing it yahoo is shutting down its strength and will lose its patronizers.

tabassom December 18, 2012 at 9:33 pm

what happend about yahoo?

ricky December 18, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Yahoo is Nothing Without Chat rooms.

Mohammad Jaleel December 19, 2012 at 2:09 am

it is disgussting,,,,i feel bored in my life now.Request to Yahoo,,to reopen chat rooms again..

Haris hayat khan December 19, 2012 at 10:10 am

please open the chat rooms…….

yahooo iz most popular in pakistan just becasue of itz chat roomssss… please we requesting to yahoo mods open the chat rooms…. love yahoo love yahoo chat rooms….. thnkssss

vijay December 19, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Yahoo rewind your decision….

Spank McGee December 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm

yahoo chat was a goldmine for p*ssy back in the late 90s. Holy not just cows. Then they shut it down for a while, then it reopened back with spam bots, and all the girls were on myspace and facebook by then anyway. OH well, goodbye wonderful thing, sniff…although it was trouble brewing in every direction.

firas December 20, 2012 at 11:25 pm

i say , if u have a comfortable chair , dont leave it to search for another , but u must find the new chair than leave the old one . and i think when yahoo decided to leave that chair ( public rooms) there must be smart one who will come and sit on it . so we wont miss that chair cz some one will come and sit on it , good bye yahoo , and thnx for nice time u gave us in ur chat rooms , and plz wish us good time in the new one

bert December 21, 2012 at 1:17 am

try to search some alternative and chatroom in google many derz…

Tushar Mohammad Zainuddin December 22, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Is there any alternative of Yahoo Messenger Pingbox?

dev1234 December 22, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Hello Friends,
I have found paltalk
I think this is a good alternative to Yahoo messenger.
You will not miss your Yahoo chat days anymore..

umair December 23, 2012 at 12:12 am

yahoo plzz review ur decision.i m really in tears after hearing this..i always lived double life..one real life and other is yahoo chat room life..plz dont end up my life.

saleem chhipa December 23, 2012 at 4:04 am

yahoo chat rooms were best chat rooms of the world no other chat room can take place of it i request start it again when the people get bored they used to join the yahoo chat,
by yahoo chat we meet with the people of the world and make them friends

imran December 24, 2012 at 2:34 am

its not good news i m much missing yahoo chat room its not good news for us wht the hell is this why u closed it plz open again very sooon its good messanger

Keith December 24, 2012 at 7:18 am

Yahoo has been on a downhill ride for a half dozen years or more, and now, I cant find one reason for Yahoo or yahoo messenger to ever appear on my computer again. guess I need to replace the old email, yahoo is dead as far as I can see.

PigsVomit December 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Pity it closed, because it was full of the worlds losers & at least we knew where they all were.
Now these losers will start trawling the net again looking for another rock (Like yahoo Chat)to hide under.
Someone should start a site called “RedNeck chat Rooms”.
It would do the world a big favor by keeping these inbreed morons occupied and away from the main stream internet user

Derk December 25, 2012 at 10:29 am

It is most unfortunate that Yahoo would do such a thing without asking the users what they want first. I only ever got on YIM to b.s. and chat with people around the globe, and now what I’m stuck with is something that lets me talk to people I can just go and visit, what good is that? How are we supposed to connect with people in other countries?
Thanks for nothing Yahoo…

Nick December 25, 2012 at 3:30 pm

this sucks, no one on my yahoo list, I had offline message saying they’ve switch to other messenger that supports chat room,

Reham Mohammed December 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I think what happened in yahoo public chat is very good idea and i hope the public chat never come back because we did not use from this service in a good way like knowing unknown people from other countries and exchange culture or language or anything useful
for some people the public chat was only to know girls in bad way
so thank you very much

budha December 26, 2012 at 5:02 am

yahoo finished if staff donot reopened chat rooms again ..no one join yahoo

mike December 26, 2012 at 8:04 am

Yahoo will be deleted they no longer serve my agenda.

Zan December 26, 2012 at 5:34 pm

any alternative to yahoo public chat..?? :((

daisy pearl December 28, 2012 at 1:33 am

very good yahoo .there were lots of disgust guys using abusive languages ..now i am so happy for them….

Ali December 28, 2012 at 3:34 am

That was a source to find people of your choice round the world. we have no alternative to enjoy chating and making new friends.

kamal December 28, 2012 at 5:55 am

it is bad idea because we was know other people from other countries please open it again sooner

me December 28, 2012 at 9:21 am

dear yahoo,

BRING BACK CHAT ROOMS.

vikram December 28, 2012 at 7:30 pm

kindly start chat rooms again. i feel very sad.

lizzie December 29, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I used yahoo messenger for 9 years. The chat rooms on the whole were rubbish! I have used pal talk for 12 years. I pay a subscription and prefer it over any other internet chat I have ever used. Yes you will get the same breed of on line idiots you always will but it beats yahoo by miles!

Push December 30, 2012 at 6:49 am

WTF? Today I just felt like going to the chat room after so long…I searched for chatroom option in messanger, it wasnt there therefore I searched on google, then i knew about it…Its so upsetting..I have no words.

Web_savy December 30, 2012 at 6:53 am

Chat gave Yahoo direct reach to millions of people around globe,, these idiots don’t know what they have killed.. its suside.. stabbing own self to get killed..They don’t know how to do business,,look at google, fb , you tube.. they all thrive on public interest and countless users..yahoo chat is similar vintage product.. but yahoo is run by new comers who dosnt know about internet.Who ..they don’t know how to encash..

daniel December 30, 2012 at 5:18 pm

yaho is nothing with out chat rooms its look like as alone with out chat rooms

Jay December 31, 2012 at 6:49 am

This is really, really, really a bummer.. I still sign into my messenger first thing in the morning when I wake up out of habit, but nobody is ever around anymore. Ever since they got rid of the chat rooms a couple weeks ago, it’s turned into a total ghost town. I don’t think I’ve had a single private message since then. People just don’t come.

I’ve heard of alternatives, and I’ve tried a dozen, but there is no equivalent. Yeah the rooms kind of sucked with bots, but it was the last holdout of the old school drop in and talk immediately rooms. Like aol back in the day, you get your name, you talk in the room. Simple and brilliant. Now there’s nothing.. I looked up MSN but I guess their chat ended a long time ago, and same with AIM. All basically dead services in favor of new social media like facebook.

The thing is, not all of us want to see a picture of our cousins cat, or get ‘poked’ or ‘liked’ and talk in that stunted blog style format for all to see. I honestly have no idea why people even like facebook.. but I digress.

I miss the chat already, and I sincerely hope it gets put back, or a REAL alternative opens up to fill the gap. Paltalk sucks. It’s the end of an era, and it’s making me- and a lot of homebound and disabled and foreign people- really upset. Not to mention, people just LIKED it. I met plenty of well adjusted people there, including long term friends, girlfriends, you name it. I have laughed and cried and it’s been a hub of communication. Now it’s just gone, and it makes the messenger like an empty shell. I gotta stop thinking about it, because I want to hop in the chats right now like I always have. Super lame.

BRING BACK YAHOO CHAT!!!

kumu December 31, 2012 at 1:00 pm

NOW I’ll not surprise if yahoo noticed us that they are going to close @yahoo mail service very soon.
Its true I was addicted and spent lots of my valuable time in chat room without any reason and my life ruined, but i know its importent for others such as businessmen who looking for buyers or sellers, some one need help for computer problem, or some one going vacation and want to know the actual information of that place and lots of things.
Yahoo need to stop some rooms such as adult room (because I think its spoiled youngs) and chat spams.
Let see how much yahoo share price down in NY stock
GOOD BYE yahoo

mazen December 31, 2012 at 4:22 pm

big mistake to close this chatt , this place give people a hope to find some thing good they search
thanks

John January 1, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Pretty bad decision if you ask me.

The Yahoo users like not only visits yahoo website, but also checked the chat rooms. I used to love the chat rooms. Very funny and entertaining.

I have no reasons to continue to use Yahoo messenger. I prefer using skype or Google. The only luring aspect of yahoo messenger was the IP voice and the chat rooms in my view.

This is what happens when you hire a CEO who has no clue how to ball up a company. What she is doing is to copy Google. Creativity is something that take years to develop for those who are data centric.

Yahoo is gone. Did you see how Microsoft improved their content offering ? I love it. Beat downs yahoo hands down. In fact, I think google and MS will be hanging around. There is no room for three players and if there is that last player is apple.

Yahoo cannot offer nothing better because it lacks creativity to surpass its competitors. Hiring one from the inside means that they are playing catch up the least to say. I want to see how long she lasts when the financial results start pounding in her head.

shizaru January 3, 2013 at 5:54 am

Urggghh i’ve tried using PalTalk and TinyChat and indeed I got bored using them…
I missed Public Chat Room :(

fruitcake January 3, 2013 at 5:39 pm

since everyone here still want to chat like we used to in yahoo chat rooms how about someone find a website with chatrooms and we’ll start from there. make sure u post the link here.

Thushara January 4, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Closing down public chat rooms is a very stupid idea. Now i don’t see any reason why I should log into yahoo. Chat rooms was the only reason why i loged in to yahoo. Wait and see what happens to Yahoo without chat rooms. In another 5 years , people will not even know what Yahoo is, just like MSN.

W A F January 4, 2013 at 11:36 pm

What A F… Yahoo is nothing without Global Chat rooms… Hell hell.

str8jack_it January 5, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Yahoo let booters and bots run wild in the chat rooms, therefore I stopped entering them. Now that they have eliminated them I will be strictly a google user, google search , google news , gmail etc.

jas jagpal January 6, 2013 at 5:17 am

Yahoo is only known as public chat room services, all other email servers are same, we can use gmail, hotmail, or other server for email. its a big mistake by yahoo. Yahoo admin should rethink about it. Company will loss everything in next couple of months.

Bob January 6, 2013 at 6:27 am

Who gives a crap? Its a free service which costs them money and time to run… If they wish to close it down, so be it. It’s not the users choice, so stop complaining like a bunch of ungrateful turds and show some appreciation for how many years they provided us with these chat rooms…
Thanks Yahoo for everything, your chat programs made it so easy to line up chicks from all over the world

Anik January 6, 2013 at 10:27 am

you can still enjoy yahoo chatting if we all share contact list with others lol

Yahoo Sucks Bawlz January 6, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Yahoo! now sucks!!!

tianggra January 6, 2013 at 11:20 pm

if it about the spam, yahoo should try to solve the spam problem not closing all the chat room. closing the chat room is the bad idea.

QueenAmidala January 8, 2013 at 8:50 pm

i will switch to Camfrog now.. There are lot of public chatrooms there!! Goodbye Yahoo

sooner fan January 8, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Here is the one thing yahoo has forgot.. without a chat room to meet people how do you have an id to add to Ur messenger list? Duh! Messenger has now been rendered totally useless. Side note: in a way its a great thing. I’ve seen some if the same people in chat for years for days on in. Yahoo was basically their life. Now without chat maybe they will become a more productive member of society. Who knows. But all n all this wasn’t thought thru on yahoos part. No chat = no meeting new users = no need for any type of messenger..

gary wegrzyn January 9, 2013 at 12:23 am

who ever thought of this just had there stupid cap on now put a good cap on and get it back

sara January 14, 2013 at 10:57 am

plz plz plz open yahoo public chat room

Chris January 17, 2013 at 10:20 am

Yahoo chat was crap, nothing but the same old rooms for years, same perverts and screwballs, and the bots were a joke. They never did anything to fix anything. Good riddance to chat.

shaukat hussain January 19, 2013 at 11:25 am

I think now no body will use yahoo with out chat room.Becuse there is no purpose of using it.

Naeem January 20, 2013 at 1:55 am

I’m freak out to see that why yahoo take such decision suddenly. I have many commemorations with yahoo. I will miss it in my whole life.

oye January 20, 2013 at 2:50 am

any alternative ? any other chat room …let me know pls

robert January 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm

who cares, full of spam and fags anyway, couldnt talk with any one unless you believed all that im was real

jass January 21, 2013 at 3:25 am

I start my computer , and opend yahoo ID just becouse I chat on yahoo, otherwise it is just scrap and hope my last Goodbye to yahoo on 14 Dec. , really its non sence decision of yahoo. Public chat is heart of yahoo masenger othrwise it is scrap. yahoo think same as Nokia and both compny will be History, microsoft killing both.

Misbusy52 January 21, 2013 at 5:10 am

Yahoo closed down the best chat room ever created! No chat room since MSN was as easily accessible, or operable as Yahoo. Big , gigantic, miserable, horrid, mistake! So many people were able to communicate and really come together in Yahoo chat! Whose mentality thought it should end? That was seriously, stupid! Paltalk sucks donkey balls! People, there are too damned, ignorant and controlling to have chat room hosting, privileges! If Yahoo, could have just gotten rid of the hacker, hoodlums and bots it could have gone on phenomenally! I for one am very sorry to see it end. What a tragedy!

Diana Ward January 22, 2013 at 7:09 am

Too bad…you are going to loose such a vast amount of people…good and bad…oh well…we have all established great friendships….

faizan anwar January 22, 2013 at 2:24 pm

sir please….open yahoo chat rooms..i request u please sir

Venkat eswarlu January 22, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Happy to open Yahoo Chat rooms again if Yahoo is under my control, dude like you I can’t do anything you should be contacting Yahoo for this.

MAD January 24, 2013 at 3:40 am

yahoo sucks!!!!!
the ONLY good feature is down , you’re next.

Karthik January 25, 2013 at 1:02 am

This is unfortunate.I can’t believe this and I badly miss Yahoo Public Chat Rooms.
When I was new to internet,I used to use them daily.

Its good for Yahoo to use the resources on other products.

abbelove January 26, 2013 at 1:31 am

huma farooq January 28, 2013 at 1:42 am

we should now bicot all services of yahoo if not resumes services back go to hell yahoo. there are lot of serch engins who are more beter then you .

missdee January 29, 2013 at 11:30 am

I say good job, the rooms haven’t been the same for years, in the early days before spam and serious hackers and booters it was great, have met life long friends off it, but in the past couple of years it went seriusly down hill, the only people lurking on yahoo chat were sick men looking for little girls and people with no life that would sit in rooms day in and day out, booting anyone out that dare to speak on there so called mic. All those losers will be forced to leave there home and meet real life people and wont be able to get power trips by hacking and booting people on yahoo chat.

Alvin Mundala January 30, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Please bring back the YM public chat room. It’s very interesting. Now, I hate using YM anymore as it didn’t possess what I want.

momolove05 February 2, 2013 at 12:57 am

I will miss the yahoo chat rooms..the majority of people on my friends list were people I met in the chat rooms….I hated the fact that bots overtook the chat rooms..before they were a fun way to conversation with people especially when you did not have many friends…sucks but hopefully someone else comes up with a better chatting website…YM is boring now…good thing I still keep in contact with some friends..

cool February 2, 2013 at 2:14 am

yahoo should re-introduce the chat room

jupiter again February 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm

i almost forgot, my advice for all ppl tht really missed yahoo chat room maybe u can try paltalk and bring all of your friends there becaused i did same thing with all my friends. We all moved on paltalk now, its same like yahoo. And for my ehm..ehm sheng, sorry i still cant chat often with u and others, i still in to job, but u know i always missed u hon.. :)

Mark Jose February 3, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Its really sad news, 2-3 time i personally revised my YMS might something wrong with my lappy or conenction but then i came to know YMS in now RIP. I missing it so much, i can say there no more such type IMS service we will found in internet world. And no one touch level of YMS.
We are missing YMS….

pablo cervantes February 5, 2013 at 4:10 am

You are missing the wanker rooms, yes?

Grateful_n_free February 5, 2013 at 8:14 am

Where do I go to look for friends with whom I’ve chatted for many years on Yahoo! ?
How do I find them now? This is a nightmare.

Steve February 18, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I didn’t ever use the chatrooms, but the problem for me, is that my MSN contacts now don’t work anymore. I don’t use MSN, so I added my MSN contacts to YM and they were able to work together. Now they don’t :(

Danial February 20, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Too many spam bots,****,etc also going on with other social network to.Then why only yahoo chat rooms has been closed?

Mark February 20, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Is that true..? For making other social networks more popular, that’s why yahoo chat rooms has been closed..?

Venkat eswarlu February 20, 2013 at 3:06 pm

That’s definitely not true.

Kay February 24, 2013 at 9:12 am

This is a bunch of BS! There ARE NO other rooms like yahoo chat, and yeah, I haven’t always been a member or been on every single day, but I did enjoy meeting people locally here in Ohio where I live, and now that’s all gone! I signed up again today and downloaded messenger only to find out that the chatrooms are gone. Seriously?! Where else am I supposed to go now??? Seriously Yahoo, BRING CHAT BACK!

Rosie February 28, 2013 at 2:08 pm

So, the world actually ended on December 14, 2012. The Mayans got pretty close. lol

Rosie February 28, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Remember folks, there’s still Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, & a long list of other social sites. Facebook even has chat boxes (minature chatrooms) so you can interact with your friends & family there if you like.

Cheer up. The Yahoo chatrooms were never really ran very well. Every time Yahoo changed contractors, we had to train them all over again. lol. I’m sure the chatroom junkies are over at PalTalk or some other location.

PEN!S March 5, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Yahoo died from the time they removed the individual public chat rooms, the good days when people played guitar, recited poetry for the whole world to hear and stuff. After that they limited the chat rooms which sucked and were full with bots but there were still real people and offered a great conversation piece. Seems that nowadays even their search engine is trash which indexes images from flickr account in a proportion of 90% for image searches. And now the messenger feature with the crappy and limited public chat rooms also gone it’s only good for easy access to email which warns if new mails arrive and that’s that. If they continue this way they will probably shut down their mail servers too because spam control issues are present there as well. I guess it will be time to find another free service….

Anand March 7, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Totally a foolish decision taken by the Yahoo!

I chat with the friends all around the world, whatever the time it may be. Coz, any person is available in any time for chatting. Not only for time-pass but also useful to gather different kinds of information from all over the country.

This wrong decision from the Yahoo! has to be revised…..

Waiting for the Response from Yahoo!

crinoa March 21, 2013 at 6:20 pm

This is the most insane decision that yahoo did. I am sure they will fall down for doing this! Me and my friends decided to change email address and never gonna use yahoo ever again!

Sorry yahoo you’ve done a great job to pull your shit down!

april March 26, 2013 at 3:45 pm

yahooooooooooooooo..its a last nail in your coffen..okkkk im gonna quiet yahoo pretty soon…by the way your service has become more shittyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy …

Jazzy March 28, 2013 at 11:59 am

Yahoo chat was very annoying in so many ways. It was difficult to find rooms with real people – the bots definitely took over. The freakin’ bots were the worse!

The crazy font colors and sizes made me nuts! Rainbow? C’mon! And 20pt type? It was difficult to take it seriously with all of the grand-standing and SHOUTING going on.

The rooms that did have real people seemed like cliques.

It’s too bad – the internet needs a good chat system. I used to like MSN chat because the rooms came with the option to boot ‘n ban the trouble makers.

I guess now they’ll move to Skype-type IM services where everyone will be able to see what their ‘friends’ really look like. This should be interesting! :D That 19-yr-old stud muffin is really retired Mr. Harry Ballz trying to recaptcha his youth. lolz

Good luck, everybody!

REHAN KHAN March 31, 2013 at 11:58 am

PLease is there any one who can help yahoo users im also suffer when yahoo chat closed i realy missed. Whos said yahoo chat is oldest one its a great chat room ever. Here i can meet lots of new people make good friends from all over the world now v lost lots of people. Is this justice we want justice and i want that yahoo owner must open the yahoo public rooms its my wish also if they ope it again i’ll be very happ plz help any one here v r helpless now
************ REHAN KHAN ****************

Chelle Inoc April 1, 2013 at 6:42 pm

so we want friends in some country how can we do it??

bablu April 2, 2013 at 12:54 am

plzzzzzzzzzz sir this is very nice option for meet the good friends in yahoo plzzzzzzzzz
sir i mean yahoo chairman plz sir continue the yahoo chat rooms plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

————————————–bablu————————————————————-
one of the yahoo user!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ayub April 7, 2013 at 2:43 pm

yahoo chat was much better than other chating sites, its better to have chat rooms in yahoo

Venkat eswarlu April 7, 2013 at 3:36 pm

But they’ve been closed Ayub, we need to search other sites for providing such services sadly no service is close to Yahoo Chat rooms.

Abdul Rab April 10, 2013 at 1:32 am

in this modern age public want more new features but yahoo went backward, they stopped the main feature of yahoo (chat rooms), i really become sad with that kind of step by yahoo, after this happened i never like to sing in to yahoo, even i start to use g mail for my email service. please think about it again yahoo… i am badly missing that fun.

Venkat eswarlu April 10, 2013 at 6:47 am

Abdul Rab of course most users missing that service, thanks for your comment.

gary April 12, 2013 at 6:36 am

o my god i miss u always yahoo chat room why close room there r me always start fightttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ……………

Venkat eswarlu April 12, 2013 at 9:21 am

Of course most users wanting Yahoo chat rooms back, thanks for your comment Gary.

Md Jones April 20, 2013 at 11:51 pm

As of today,20/4/2013,the date that I found out that Yahoo Chat has been discontinued,I will discontinue to use Yahoo….Yahoo was a good site at one point,but like all of the other sites,they decided to make decisions that afect users without asking what the users thought.You suck shitballs Yahoo,Ive been a member for well over 10 years and you’ve gotten worse every single year….bring back Yahoo Chat and Yahoo 360………I hope more people stand up and refuse to use the service and then maybe you’ll learn.

c_lady August 10, 2013 at 7:45 am

Was looking to chat in yahoo messenger and had to do a search on google to find out that Yahoo! closed its public chat rooms back in Dec 2012…oh well. I used to chat all the time in college once I graduated I didn’t really get on much unless I was bored but I always ended up chatting with someone that was really interesting.

bhupender July 31, 2014 at 6:30 pm

This is foolish decision we request to reopen commen chat roon