How to Remove Santa Hat in VLC Player – This is For don’t want Users Only

by Venkat eswarlu on December 21, 2012

in How to,tips and tricks

On eve of Christmas VLC Media Player dresses up its cone with Santa hat, this hat stays on VLC cone till January 1st if you don’t want to see Christmas hat in VLC player, you can easily disable it on Windows and Mac. For every year, in the month of December from 18th to January 1st system tray and cone icons of VLC player wears Santa hat, this happens automatically during the holiday season and is indeed is an Easter egg embedded into the player by developers.

VLC player cone icon worn Santa Hat for Christmas thumb How to Remove Santa Hat in VLC Player   This is For don’t want Users Only

Disabling Santa hat icon in VLC Player

I have no objections or problems with this, but if you want to get VLC icon back without Santa or Christmas hat here is how to do that.

On Windows:

1. Open VLC Player,

2. From Tools menu select Preferences, select “all” under Show settings

3. Select Interface>expand Main interfaces select Qt

4. Scroll down on right pane and remove tick mark for “allow automatic icon changes”,

5. Click Save and restart the player to see the changes.

Now if you open VLC Media Player you will see regular cone and tray icons.

On Mac

• Tools>Preferences>Interface>Main interfaces> Mac OS X > uncheck “ allow icon to be changed”,
  • Restart the Player.

Please note that I no way trying to disturb the Christmas Spirit of you, you can keep the Santa hat icon or remove it, its’ up to you. This article was written to let you know there is a way exists to get regular VLC  icon back in place of Santa hat during these holidays.

I take this as opportunity to say “Happy Xmas” to all readers in advance. Please stay on the topic,  don’t post spam comments with Xmas wishes.

Charles December 22, 2012 at 10:53 am

Thank you for this. I am not a christian so I don’t participate in xmas and the icon was irritating and intrusive. This is the first site I found (out of many) that had the simple, direct solution.

Venkat December 22, 2012 at 11:24 am

Thanks for your words and welcome to Techdows.

Tashiki December 23, 2012 at 10:49 am

Santa is not a christian figure. He was created by Coca cola in an advertising as a parody of st nicolas and was kept because he looked better.

some internet dude December 30, 2012 at 12:22 am

Actually Santa is an off shot of the Christian figure “Sinterklaas”. The Dutch brought over Sinterklaas “St Nick” and santa eveolved from there. CocaCola had absolutely nothing to do with creating Santa, other than the fact that they used his likeness during a brilliant ads to make money.

BKO December 23, 2012 at 11:02 am

I’m not a christian either, but I’m also not so wound up that a funny little hat on an icon is upsetting to me. So strange, the things that people classify as irritating.

some internet dude December 30, 2012 at 12:13 am

Same here, I get its the holidays and all but its being shoved down my throat left and right.

Thanks much from a rational thinking and common sense atheist.

LMG December 22, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Perfect it works! Thank you.

zyzomyz December 26, 2012 at 9:13 pm

wonderful! glad to get rid at last of that silly icon!

voxnulla December 28, 2012 at 3:45 am

Thanks!

I hated that little coca-cola commercial in my dock.

John Baptist December 28, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I’m VERY happy to have learned how to remove this obnoxious infiltration. No doubt it was added in the spirit of cheer and whatnot, but it’s completely inappropriate. And not because of my religious opinions: Christmas is to christianity as Spam is to meat … stray bits of it in there, but mostly a bunch of crap for padding profits. Click, toggle off, back to … a normal traffic cone, because nothing says “time to watch videos” better than construction ahead, or wtf….

tor December 20, 2013 at 8:48 pm

bah, humbug!

thanks for this clear & concise article, i appreciate it!

karan December 20, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Nice, its working fine….

Yehuda Frankel December 21, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Thank you so much for your help. I live in Israel where I enjoy not seeing any xmas decorations outside, much less on my own computer!

sysprog December 22, 2013 at 3:44 am

I deplore the unbridled temerity of the VLC programmer … he haughtily eschews opportunities to present the correct answer (as Venkat Eswarlu so graciously did here) … and he does that here and in other venues.

Today (in December 2013) I spent valuable time ascertaining the source of and getting rid of this undocumented non-pre-approved nonsense. I checked whether VLC had improperly accessed my net connection to do an unauthorized update. I learned that it had not done that, and then learned that the programmer had lied by omission.

He put in a functionality whereby my machine was directed to do something he wanted it to do that I did not want it to do . Nowhere in his documentation does he disclose that his program set will do that. Nowhere in the install process does he show any concern whatsoever about user preferences regarding the matter.

I will never again trust that programmer to not be nonchalantly self-indulgent and casually dismissive regarding the sovereignty of users over their machines.

A programmer who puts unauthorized non-pre-announced surprises in his code arrogantly violates the trust of the user and so casts programmers into disrepute.

I am grateful to the programmer for his excellent program; however, I am incensed at his high-handed contemptuous imperiousness in presenting an unannounced date-triggered behavioral change surreptitiously.

I am a programmer and I would NEVER deliberately insert a surprise behavior in a program. If its really so irrepressibly cute, give the installer an option to allow or disallow cutesy on-the-fly customizations sneaked in by the programmer. Programs are always inexorable commanders to the machine and so should always be absolutely abject servants to the user who owns the machine.

I still think VLC is the best program set of its kind but I detest the damnable disdain exhibited by the programmer for the authority over their machines of the persons using his programs.

Redwan December 22, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Thank you!

Muzammil December 22, 2013 at 8:09 pm

thanx alot

George Cooke December 24, 2013 at 9:02 am

THANKS so much. The Santa hat icon on my high-resoloution laptop monitor was making it hard for me to locate minimised instances of VLC because there’s not enough orange showing!

john c December 25, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Thanks for the simplest answer I have found on the net this morning.
Cheers
jc

Bek December 26, 2013 at 5:22 pm

That stuff works !

Venkat eswarlu December 27, 2013 at 5:15 am

By bookmarking this page you could avoid doing that next year.

Roger December 29, 2013 at 12:03 am

Thank you for posting this!! I spent hours hunting through folders for a .png, ,jpg or .ico file to remove. Found what looked like a configuration file, but wasn’t sure if I could safely change the text without blowing up the program. Emailed the video lan team. An admin mailed me this link. I was concerned that video lan might have surreptiously accessed my system over the internet and installed this Christian holiday icon. It isn’t professional to hardcode religious imagery into a software application. Why not offer decorated logo icons of all sorts as a downloadable add-on? Those who want it, will think it is ‘cool’ .

Joe Bigliogo December 29, 2013 at 1:13 am

The lated December holiday season is NOT just for Christians, it is a time of celebration and renewal for most secular cultures as well as many religions. Santa adornments are most assuredly not Christian. I fail to see how offence could be taken by anyone… unless they have an issue with Santa or Coca Cola.