dan November 8, 2012 at 2:10 am

I didn’t use the “I have a Skype account”, but I want to merge my account now, any ideas?

sankit November 15, 2012 at 1:37 am

yeah initially i didnt use that option but want to merge my skype account with windows live. I tried looking for any option if i get to merge the accounts but no luck. any idea on the same. looks like microsoft have made it bit complicated by introducing liveid

John December 12, 2012 at 3:11 am

I too didn’t choose the merge option… and now I can’t seem to find a way to merge the two accounts. If anyone has a solution I would love to hear it.

Larry December 15, 2012 at 5:12 am

Really? Is there no answer to this problem? I also didn’t merge the accounts because I did not even remember that I had used the same email address with Skype years ago. The problem occurred only after I tried to login from my cell phone and while trying to restore the password my old skype account popped out. One shot and if you miss it no can do?

Frank December 19, 2012 at 12:17 am

And after you do that your Windows Live Messenger hast lost all contacts and in Skype you see them permanently offline as they see you offline.

DON’T DO IT IF YOU USE WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER! Only Skype will work as before after the merge.

Dany January 11, 2013 at 6:39 am

In the first time, i do not choose “I have a Skype account”, how can i merge later on?

Justin April 22, 2013 at 1:26 am

Guys, all you have to do is sign out of your Skype, sign in with your Windows Live account, and it’ll give you the option to merge your account with an existing Skype account.

Enjoy!

John October 21, 2013 at 9:38 am

Justin – the whole idea behind people asking is that once you have initially signed over into Skype, you NO LONGER HAVE a Windows Live account. It is removed automatically. It becomes a Microsoft Account which is different again, and no longer offers the option to merge your account, as the old Windows Live would have.

The problem still remains. Once you allow your initial Windows Live account to transfer over to Skype independently of another existing Skype account, there is no avenue to recitfy it. You will simply have 2 Skype accounts. One can be signed in via Microsoft Account option, or can by Skype directly. And the other is only accessible by Skype. When you only have options of signing in by Microsoft Account, or Skype account, it seems the option for merging your Windows Live Account is already lost forever.