Mozilla added optional component as a Windows Service for Firefox 12, which is Mozilla Maintenance service which installs updates silently on Windows systems without the interruption of UAC dialog. Why Mozilla created this Maintenance service and installs with Firefox? to write updates to Firefox directory under Program files permission is needed from the user who has admin privileges, where UAC introduced in Vista pops up and and asks user for permission if user permits then update will be installed.
But with the rapid release cycle introduced by Mozilla user needs to encounter UAC dialog for every six weeks whenever new Firefox version releases, and that’s a pain, that’s why Mozilla decided to avoid UAC dialog with this service where updates are installed silently in the background without user intervention.
Remember when you install Firefox on your Computer for the first time then only this service will be installed. It won’t be installed with every install or release, as lot of users upgrade from existing versions to new ones. Users started knowing about this service as they’re seeing it installed in Add or Remove program or Programs and Features in Windows 7.
Opting out of installation of Mozilla Maintenance service
You can opt-out of installing this service only if you perform clean install of Firefox and that too with Custom install type selected, that means you won’t notice install of Maintenance Service with Standard install type or when you upgrade from existing installed version to the latest one.
Disable or uninstall Mozilla maintenance service
To disable this service
1. From Firefox menu button Tools>Options>Options
2. Click on Advanced Panel >Update tab uncheck “Use a background service to install updates”
3. Click Ok to save the changes.
You can uninstall the same from Control Panel easily.
If you have any doubts on this service let me clear some
- This service runs once in the background and won’t effect Firefox performance
- Only invoked when Firefox updater.exe instructs it to negate the UAC
- Once you disable or uninstall or stop this service in future it won’t be installed “via an update by Firefox“ on your computer where updates fall back to old method where you need to click on Yes button for UAC dialog.
Mozilla maintenance service is optional and don’t needed on Windows XP (because of no UAC feature) and Windows Vista/7/8 systems where users intentionally disabled UAC.