Mozilla has added an optional component as a Windows Service for Firefox 12, it is Mozilla Maintenance service, which installs the updates silently on Windows systems without the intervention of the UAC dialog.
Why Mozilla has created this Maintenance service and installs with Firefox? To write updates to the Firefox directory under Program files, permission is needed from the user who has admin privileges, where UAC introduced in Vista pops up and asks the user for permission, if user permits, then update will be installed.
But with the rapid release cycle introduced by Mozilla, user needs to encounter UAC dialog for every six weeks whenever a new Firefox version releases, and that’s a pain, that’s why Mozilla decided to avoid UAC dialog with this service, where updates are installed silently in the background without user’s intervention.
Remember, when you install Firefox on your computer for the first time, then only this service will be installed. It won’t be installed with every install or release, as a lot of users upgrade from existing versions to new ones. Users started knowing about this service as they see it installed in Add or Remove program or Programs and Features in Windows.
You can opt-out of installing this service only if you perform a clean install of Firefox and that too with Custom install type selected, that means you won’t notice install of Maintenance Service with the Standard install type or when you upgrade from existing installed version to the latest one.
Disable or uninstall Mozilla maintenance service
To disable this service
1. From Firefox menu button Tools>Options>Options
2. Click on Advanced Panel >Update tab, uncheck “Use a background service to install updates”
3. Click ‘OK’ to save the changes.
You can uninstall the same from Control Panel easily.
If you have any doubts about this service let me clear some
- This service runs once in the background and won’t affect Firefox performance.
- Only invoked when Firefox updater.exe instructs it to negate the UAC.
- Once you disable or uninstall or stop this service, in future, it won’t be installed “via an update by Firefox“ on your computer where updates fall back to the old method, where you need to click on ‘Yes’ button for UAC dialog to install.
Mozilla maintenance service is optional and not needed on Windows XP (because of no UAC feature) and Windows Vista/7/8 systems where users intentionally disabled UAC.