“Your Dropbox Password has Expired”, Do You Know the Reason Why?

by Venkat eswarlu on September 15, 2012

in Troubleshooting

To say the truth, I don’t use Dropbox much, even I do not visit Dropbox website but I do used to uninstall stable build of Dropbox on Windows and install experimental builds whenever they’re released to know the new features. Today when I installed new experimental build released today by Dropbox and tried to sign into Dropbox, setup said ”your  password has expired. We sent you an email with further instructions or you can create a new password at dropbox.com/password_expired”.

Dropbox expires users passwords which haven’t changed for some time

When I check my email, Dropbox sent a message with subject “please update your expired dropbox password”

Hi Venkat,
We noticed that you recently tried to log in to Dropbox with a password that you haven’t changed in a while. Your old password has expired and you’ll need to create a new one to log in.
Please visit this page to update your password:

Dropbox window password expiry warning thumb “Your Dropbox Password has Expired”, Do You  Know the Reason Why?

When you visit https://www.dropbox.com/password_expired page or when you try to sign into Dropbox with expired password you’ll see the following screen with the box provided at the bottom to type your email address to get an email to change the password.

your Dropbox password has expired thumb “Your Dropbox Password has Expired”, Do You  Know the Reason Why?

Why Dropbox expires users passwords?

It raises the question after how money days a Dropbox user need to change his password or when Dropbox expires the password if users doesn’t change them ? days weeks or months?. We know email services after minimum of three months deactivate accounts that are no longer active.This is something different instead of deactivation they’re resetting passwords on users behalf that haven’t changed for sometime and somehow I am able to find this page where Dropbox answered the reason for why did my password expire?

“We sometimes expire passwords as a proactive security measure. For example, we reset passwords that haven’t been changed in a while. You’ll need to update your password before linking a new computer, phone, tablet, or API app.”

If your password expires, when you login next time into Dropbox website, you’ll see above screenshot where you can enter your email address and follow emails send by Dropbox to change your Password. Dropbox recommends to turn on two step verification for even more security.

It seems Dropbox starts expiring passwords since a week as we’ve found few users reporting in Dropbox forum.

What do you say? is this approach, the decision of resetting password should be left to the user? or Dropbox is doing the right thing? I think there should be something like similar to in banking sites where Dropbox should warn users to change their passwords as they’re going to be expired after some number of days.

Ribice September 16, 2012 at 1:39 am

It’s a good thing. I totally agree with their policy of changing passwords to inactive users, but they should rather ask a user to do it on his own rather than doing it by themselves.

Also you have some typos in your text, be sure to fix them :).

Venkat September 16, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Thanks they’re fixed.

Alvin B. September 16, 2012 at 11:59 pm

What DropBox failed to comprehend is you can’t just suddenly force a password change on someone out of the blue, and then require it to be done with email, and then offer no mechanism for updating that email address! If you try to update your email address, it asks for your password (which you KNOW). When you put in the password, it asks you to update the password via email (which you CAN’T)..

These guys really screwed the pooch. I can’t even delete my account due to this, so they can still market my account as a “user” to investors even though thanks to their idiocy I’ve moved on fully to Google Drive.

sol March 20, 2014 at 2:05 am

I’m full with you on that.
I had same problem. Which makes / forces me to DROP Dropbox in to the Bin BOX, and use Google Drive. .

Chris September 18, 2012 at 4:40 am

Don’t like it. Now I have to go to every device I use and update the damn password. If I want to change my password, I will. Don’t force me to. At least let me do it on my own timetable.

JamesL September 20, 2012 at 12:06 am

I don’t like that it can **ONLY** be changed from an email link. Generally, I’d prefer to connect to the site directly and perform a reset from there, since that way I have a much better idea taht the request is coming from a *legitimate* site. The more appropriate option would be to send me a code number that I could enter on their website, which would then bring me to a reset page. I guess they still need to learn about the concept of “security”

MOL September 21, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I don’t like either we can’t changed the password by the web introducing once the old one and twice the new other.

Leah Bradley January 27, 2013 at 3:28 am

I have another gmail account. I can’t sign out on my phone, and i guess my verify password expired. I’m trying to buy something on a game from a game app. It wants the password to that account. Can somebody please tell me how to get the password for that account or to delete it without having a password. Thank you!

alex van bienen February 7, 2013 at 7:08 am

WHY they do this??? I usemy dropbox account every day on my devices. Now suddenly there is this request for new password which means I would need to change the login on all my devices. WHY
Also the mechanism or changing the password does not seem to work and sends you around in circles.

DROPBOX, great application but please do away with this stupid”password change need”when account is used all the time!