Remove Java Deployment Toolkit Plugin in Firefox in a Easy Way

by Venkat eswarlu on August 3, 2012

in Firefox,tips and tricks

After uninstalling Java, have you spotted Java related Java Deployment Toolkit plugin in Firefox?, Yes, Java uninstaller not removed this one, don’t know why? These are annoyances users need to cope with Java and other software, if you install a program, that installs plugins and add-ons, its uninstaller should also remove them during their uninstall, is it not? Once this exists without Java on our systems knowing the use and purpose of it is not necessary. If you want to remove this plugin from Firefox, you’ve to follow the below procedure.

Java Deployment Toolkit Firefox plugin thumb Remove Java Deployment Toolkit Plugin in Firefox in a Easy Way

Disable or Enable All Java Plugins in browsers with a Single Click

Removing Java Deployment Toolkit Plugin from Firefox

We can disable this plugin, but it makes sense to completely remove it from our computers. For that, close Firefox and any other browsers if running

1. Open run command, and type “ C:\Windows\system32\”

2. Search for npDeployJava1.dll file, once Windows search finds and shows it as a result, select and delete it.

npDeployJava1 dll file in System 32 directory thumb Remove Java Deployment Toolkit Plugin in Firefox in a Easy Way

Note: npDeployJava1.dll file is related to Java Deployment Toolkit Plugin and it can be found in “System 32” directory under Windows.

Be sure to backup this file before deletion, so that you can restore if something goes wrong by pasting it in the same directory.

Do you want to remove unnecessary plugins from Chrome? Read How to Remove Plugins from Chrome.

How to remove unneeded Java Console Extension in Firefox

Update 20/12/2013: If the above instructions doesn’t help, follow the below ones.

You can find that file here also on Windows

For 32-bi:t C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\dtplugin\npdeployJava1.dll

For 64-bit : (If any 64-bit user helps I can add it here)

To easily know the path of this file if Java installed, open Firefox and visit about:plugins. As you all know, you’ve to delete that file.

Stephanie C December 10, 2013 at 3:41 pm

So I have attempted to find this java thing under my system..can’t find it, so this was not helpful at all.

Norman Smith December 19, 2013 at 11:30 pm

npDeployJava1.dll resides in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\dtplugin on my Win 7 Pro x64 system.

Bill December 19, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I also am unable to find this via the directions given. ??
Thanks.

Venkat eswarlu December 20, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Please check the update at the bottom of post. If it doesn’t helps you can ask me again.

GarlicBread December 29, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I had a similar problem with this JDT.
I had completely uninstalled Java on my computer and after reboot Firefox would still display the plugin JDT. What was odd though is that the version for the JDT was old (6.33) compared to the Java version (7u45)
So I followed the instructions here and couldn’t find the npdeployJava1.dll file in the windows\system32

I found one in C:\Program Files\java\jre7\bin\dtplugin, I removed it but it would still appear in the plug-in list of Firefox.

Therefore, I did a system wide search on the file and found out the there was a copy of the file in C:\Windows\SysWOW64
That that one was the culprit.

So if you have this problem and a Win7 64bit install check also this folder.

Cheers.

Venkat eswarlu December 29, 2013 at 3:42 pm

So its better to remove that file from both programs files and System 32 folders, if deleting file from one folder not worked.

IT_Architect February 14, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Windows 8 64
- Closed Firefox
- Uninstalled Java after which I had no Java directories in “Program Files” or “Program Files (x86)”
- I did a search, but didn’t find the file.
- I navigated to C:\Windows\System32 and the file was there, so find didn’t fine it. I made a directory above the directory named 1-Manually_Removed_Files, and moved deployJava1.dll and npdeployJava1.dll into it.
- I went into C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and found the file in there. I made a directory there also named 1-Manually_Removed_Files, and moved deployJava1.dll and npdeployJava1.dll into it.
- Started Firefox and the plugin no longer showed up.

ray March 9, 2014 at 2:15 am

what about jdownloader?

I did a search with xsearch and found another of same dll in jdownloader folder

Em 'Icklem' March 16, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I’ve had the ‘Java Deployment Toolkit’ on my Laptop for ages, and never actually got past just disabling it, so if I do get there (with the help of notes on this page – this is how I did it!). If I DO manage it, most of you should be capable tbh!
NB: Doing the Search/1st method did NOT work for some reason!

Using Windows 8 (not yet updated to 8.1), with Firefox – fully updated.
1. Open Library.
2. Go to ‘Computer’, followed by ‘C:’ > ‘Program Files (x86)’ > ‘Java’ > ‘jre7′ > ‘bin’ >
‘dtplugin’. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\dtplugin)
(Note: There was no Java Folder in my ‘standard’ Program files.)
3. You will probably see 2 files here (or 1 if you no longer have Java installed):
deployJava1.dll
npdeployJava.dll = the hated file!
4. In this folder I created another folder named ‘Unwanted files’ (basically, keep a copy with a different address, so if it all goes horribly wrong…).
5. Move the ‘npdeployJava1.dll’ into this new folder, BUT if you still use Java, leave the ‘deployJava1.dll’ where it is! (When you go to move the file, it brings up a box to check (Admin) – but this does make it clear which one the deployment toolkit is.)
6. Checking it: Just by refreshing the Add-on Manager (Tools > Add-ons), in Firefox showed me that it had removed the vulnerable ‘Java Deployment Toolkit’, without even needing to re-start Firefox. (Also tested with re-start.)
Yet ‘Java’ itself (‘Java(TM) Platform SE 7 U51 10.51.2.13′ in my case!) was indeed still showing.
7. Testing it: I then went to the Java test page (this link is also the one to find and remove older versions as well, so if you wish to keep an Older Java, use the ‘Verify’ link further below), at https://java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp – which also showed it as being up-to-date, with no old versions. As well as the ‘Verify Java page’ https://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre.

So far, this seems to be doing the job. I’ve left the new folder (and old file) there for now (just in case!), but all seems to be going well!
Many thanks for all of the tips that enabled me to get rid of it, and maybe I’ll have included something, that will help someone else with this annoying piece of software!

Many thanks, and best of luck!
Em – Icklem