Here is good news for Dropbox users Dropbox started offering Two-step verification to its forum users through experimental build for Mac, Linux and Windows platforms. Its not that difficult for you to download and install this build on your computer and enable Two-step verification for you account by visiting URL offered by Dropbox in your browser, soon Dropbox may offer this to all users with a stable build.
Enabling Two-step Verification for Dropbox Account
1. If you can’t wait till then, install Dropbox 1.5.12 on your computer, you can confirm version number after install it should be v1.5.12 under Account tab of Preferences.
2. Visit Two-step verification page in your browser, if you’ve not already signed into Dropbox account sign into it with email and password success! message appears on top of the page.
3. Click on ‘Security’ tab and scroll down to left-side of page under “Account Sign-in” section you can see Two-step verification being disabled for you, click on Change link next to it,
4. Next click on Get Started button on Enable two-step verification dialog, you need to enter your Dropbox account password to continue after that you’ve two options to receive security codes via text messages to your mobile phone, or by using a mobile app
5. If you select use text messages option, on the next dialog choose your country and enter your mobile number and click next button to receive text message. Enter security code sent to you by Dropbox to verify your phone number.
Now whenever you sign into Dropbox account or add a new device your phone will receive security code.
Dropbox also shows emergency backup code which you need to note down on paper which you need to use to disable two -step verification and access your account when you lost your mobile phone.
Two-step verification is optional security feature but highly recommended for your Dropbox account, Google already offers this feature to its users. In addition to entering your password Two-step verification adds another extra step to sign into your Dropbox account that is you need to enter six-digit security code sent by Dropbox.
If you’re signing into Dropbox from your own Computer you can avoid receiving security codes again and again when you sign-in by selecting Trust this Computer after entering security code. You can always disable Two-step verification for Dropbox whenever you want from Account sign-in section.
You can download Dropbox 1.5.12 from here.