How to Disable the New Tab Page in Firefox 13

by Venkat eswarlu on May 31, 2012

in Firefox,How to,tips and tricks

Inspired from Opera’s Speed Dial Google Chrome offers “New Tab Page” with thumbnails of most visited sites from browser history, Firefox browser exists for ages before Chrome release, but till now it doesn’t have a New Tab Page, finally New Tab Page has been landed on Firefox 13 and displays (3*3 grid of total) 9 thumbnails of most visited sites to the user whenever user opens the new tab instead of blank one.

These thumbnails are generated from browser history, if you wipe Firefox browsing history on daily basis you’ll be left with none thumbnails, so it’s better for user to not to delete the Firefox cache daily. I myself started using Firefox 13 beta since 20 days for now, hardly clicked on a thumbnail to visit most recently visited website, but it may take more time for me to get used to it, feel same the case with other users too. Firefox 13 final is set to release on June 5, are you using Firefox beta now? do you like it?  if not here is how to disable it.

Firefoxs blank new tab page1 150x150 How to Disable the New Tab Page in Firefox 13Disabling Firefox’s New Tab Page

1. Type about:config in browser and press enter.

2. Click on warning “I’ll be careful, I Promise”  and type “newtabpage” (without quotes) in the search box

3. Double click on “browser.newtabpage.enabled” preference to change to “False”.

Update: Also double click on preference “browser.newtab.URL” and set its value to about:blank.

browser.newtabpage.enabled preference thumb How to Disable the New Tab Page in Firefox 13

That’s it New Tab page has been disabled in Mozilla’s browser. From now onwards you’ll be greeted with empty page whenever you open the New Tab.

To enable it back follow from step 1 to 3 and toggle the above said preference value to “True”.

Share how you found the new tab page useful in Firefox with us in comments.

Update 1 : Post and first screenshot also updated.

Antonio June 6, 2012 at 10:49 am

I noticed that if you have your privacy settings to delete all browsing,history,cookies every time you close Firefox it doesn’t show you any tab page, so its easier to do that for a novice user than to go trembling into the about:config option and hit other stuff by mistake.

Venkat June 6, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Yes and clearing Firefox cache using tools like CCleaner daily also makes NTP to blank, another easier option is user can hide the NTP by clicking on button on top of right side of NTP page. We’ve covered here about permanent way to disable NTP, choice has been left to the user.

Mikklo June 6, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Hi,

Thank you for this solution. One thing that is not mentioned above is that following the steps above a blank page is displayed when opening a new tab. My personal preference is to have a new tab display a website of my own choosing, like a search engine for instance. If that’s what you are after as well, then you have to do the following:

1. Type about:config in browser and press enter.
2. Click on warning “I’ll be careful, I Promise”
3. Type “newtabpage.n” (without quotes) in the search box
4. Double click on “browser.newtab.url” preference and type your favourite default page’s URL in the box.

Cheers.

Try hard June 7, 2012 at 5:10 pm

3. Type “newtabpage.n” (without quotes) in the search box

This doesn’t work for me what am I doing wrong

Venkat June 7, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Are you trying to do what Mikko said above which loads site url when you open new tab, you need to double click on that browser.newtab.url preference and enter the site URL you wish,is this is what you’re saying not working?, or if you want to disable the new tab page please follow steps mentioned in the post.

Rzan June 8, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Thanks. The thumbnails thing was driving me up the wall last night when I was working with multiple tabs. Disabled. It should have been made an option as it is really intrusive and slows down working.

ghan June 11, 2012 at 2:04 am

Thanks. Great help! I had tried searching the about:config myself and could not find it. Solved now! Might also want to set general.smoothScroll to false if you are used to fast scrolling page-by-page with the mouse-wheel and dont want the smoothing to slow you down.

Cody June 18, 2012 at 6:06 am

Unfortunately this only stops the page from loading when opening a new tab, it doesn’t remove the page alltogether (if you go About:NewTab in your browser it comes back).

What I’m most concerned about is the screenshot feature. I found a screenshot of my personal bank account was listed in the recent tabs (including account numbers and balances) because I’d used internet banking in Firefox. Is there a way to prevent it from taking the shots, or perhaps blocking certain websites? I’d really rather not clear my history/cookies/cache each time I shut down.

Seems like a feature that was poorly thought out.

Miriam June 26, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Thanks, this worked for me, even though I’m not very computer savvy, I am competent enough to follow these concise instructions without “bumbling around and changing something else by accident”. I didn’t want to clear my history every time I close the browser.

ScottJ July 7, 2012 at 8:24 am

Thanks so much, this is great!

I need more ancillary browser crap about as much as a Sony rootkit infection.

Phillip July 29, 2012 at 12:51 am

It seems that whenever Firefox comes out with a new feature, there is a throng of people, including myself, looking to disable it.

“Retarded New Features dot com. Dot org.”

Venkat July 29, 2012 at 6:16 pm

You may be wrong here we can assess as Mozilla trying us to use a feature we don’t use or like