Google Chrome now Has Built-in User-Agent Switcher [Updated]

by Venkat eswarlu on December 12, 2011

in Google Chrome,tips and tricks

For cross-browser testing and to emulate sites on other devices till now we relied on extensions (like The User-Agent Switcher for Chrome) and added command line switches to chrome to change user-agent string in Google Chrome, now you don’t need all this, since it’s built right into dev tools of Chrome now, current dev version has it.

built in user agent switcher in Chrome thumb1 Google Chrome now Has Built in User Agent Switcher [Updated]

Built-in User-Agent Switcher for Chrome

All you need to do is, open developer tools (use Ctrl +Shift+I shortcut instead) from the wrench menu>Tools>Developer Tools

Click on ‘Emulation’ panel, select Emulate Mobile and select the Model which you want to Emulate and reload the page for proper user agent spoofing and Viewport rendering.

Visit Chrome’s Mobile Emulation page and watch this video for more information.

[Thanks to François Beaufort]

Michael January 10, 2012 at 2:03 am

As a follow up, turns out this new feature is in the dev channel for Chrome 17, so it’s NOT in the current version. Can’t wait until it is, but I don’t generally bother with non-release stuff

deralaand March 22, 2012 at 4:55 pm

This is a temporary setting. It is not persistent.

Is there a way to modify the UA so it stays at what I set it to?

Venkat March 23, 2012 at 9:49 am

Who said its a temp setting, it’s still available in dev version of Chrome am using. I don’t know or think there is a way to stay the UA sting same when you exit and relaunch the browser.

sarthak February 25, 2013 at 12:02 am

There is a permanent way. Update your Google Chrome Shortcut to have a command line switch “–user-agent ”
(ref: http://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/)

PK1991 August 22, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I tried this but the website doesn’t render in a way that a mobile device would.
When I access a page from my iphone I see a different mobile optimized page. When I do agent overwrite on google chrome, the screen size changes but the webpage is still a desktop view. How can I change this to match the optimized page.

Thanks.

Wayne Brown August 12, 2014 at 7:37 am

When I first got my Samsung Tablet 10.1 May 2013, I was able to use Chrome and Chrome UA to get desktop websites all the time. I want to go back to Chrome,but when I look at the Chrome UA or Chrome UA switcher, it states it needs to be rooted. It used to work with the Stock tablet, because I did not root it. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks