Microsoft introduced two new settings -Refresh your PC and Restore your PC- in Windows 8 developer preview lets you repair and reinstall windows without the need of Win8 installation disc. Furthermore System Restore feature is different from these which lets you restore your system to initial state/working condition. Don’t get confused with these settings, here is a detailed explanation on what changes will happen to your PC when you apply them.
Refresh your PC vs. Reset your PC
With Refresh Your PC
1. Your files and personalization settings won’t change i.e. the below features stays the same
- Personalization settings such as start menu background color and lock screen
- Network setting such as your wireless network connection
- Libraries settings
- Windows Update settings
- Customer experience improvement program settings
- Windows error reporting settings.
2. Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults : Your PC will go back to most of its original settings. However, this won’t affect any choices you made during Windows welcome, such as Computer name and user accounts.
3. Applications came installed on your PC and apps from windows store will be kept and other apps you installed will be removed. You need to manually install those removed apps after refresh.
With Reset your PC
1. Personal files and apps will be removed: Windows installed drive will be completely reset. Your files and apps will be removed from the drive, Windows will be reinstalled.
2. Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
Refresh your PC
Reset your PC
|Files and personalization settings will be kept||Personal files and apps will be removed|
|Except Windows apps and apps came with Windows other user installed apps will be removed||All the apps including from the Windows app store will be deleted.|
|PC settings restored to defaults||Same|