Installing Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 8

by Venkat eswarlu on September 17, 2011

in tips and tricks

Improved Windows Defender in Windows 8 to offer protection from viruses, worms, bots, and rootkits in Windows 8. If you don’t have any antivirus installed in your Computer Windows Defender takes on and uses signatures from Microsoft Protection Center and offers real-time protection from threats. Can I able to Install and run MSE on this version of Windows?

MSE on Windows 8 thumb Installing Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 8

MSE vs. Windows Defender

Microsoft confused users over Windows Defender on Win8, with MSE interface and offers viruses definition updates. There is no official confirmation from Microsoft on merge of MSE with Windows Defender. Since we’re using official windows version, you can go ahead and install MSE,  but Windows Defender will be turned off automatically, you can’ t start it again with MSE offering protection.

4 Ways to Make Microsoft Security Essentials to Auto Update Its Virus Definitions Again

You don’t need to run downloaded MSE with compatibility settings, download, install and update MSE as simple as that.

Download Microsoft Security Essentials Offline Installer

Download Microsoft Security Essentials.

WacoJohn November 10, 2011 at 11:38 pm

OK, … I uninstalled MSE and Action Center immediately informed me DEFENDER needed updating .. I let it update .. and now ACTION CENTER is ‘clear’. I conclude that with this version of W8 .. MSE should not be installed.

tamim August 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm

so nice

burrell December 16, 2012 at 12:07 am

Actually Windows Defender for Windows 8 is MSE. It use the same Antivirus engine as MSE. If you pull left arrow in program you will see this.

It also tells you if you try to install MSE, that Windows Defender is the same thing.

Alexander Gavalas February 26, 2013 at 10:03 pm

If understand this correctly, Microsoft essentials does not support windows 8. Do you offer something else as a free download. Please direct me to what or where I can get the support for window’s 8

AG

Venkat eswarlu February 27, 2013 at 6:35 am

You shouldn’t need to install MSE on Windows 8, Windows defender that comes with in offers same protection.

patrick March 11, 2013 at 2:35 am

Simple question from someone is is just barely computer savy, although I do write a decent email and can look at the stock market.

My question is, ” Does Windows 8 have a virus program built in ?

Thanks.

Venkat eswarlu March 11, 2013 at 9:06 am

Yes it has Patrick, its Windows Defender.

Henry C Annis April 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Does Windows Defender do the same or better job of protection as MSE?

Venkat eswarlu April 10, 2013 at 6:46 am

Annis it will offer protection as of MSE. You don’t need to worry about that. MSE engine is built into Windows Defender.

Tammy Yates April 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I just got a lap top with windows 8 on it and it came with Mcafee free for 1 month. I was looking for MSE to install and eliminate Mcafee but after reading these questions, am I to understand I don’t need to do anything, that I already have Windows Defender built in and I can just let Mcafee expire?

Venkat eswarlu April 25, 2013 at 7:29 am

You’ve to understand as that.

Linda September 25, 2013 at 9:07 am

I just bought a computer with Mcafee pre installed. When I went to the apps and pulled up windows defender is gives the message that it has been turned off. How do I go about turning it on and getting rid of the Mcafee?

Venkat eswarlu September 25, 2013 at 11:41 am

First try to uninstall McAfee from Control Panel. You can also try McAfee Consumer products removal tool it not found in installed programs
here is the link
After its uninstall, Windows Defender will be automatically turned on after restart.
Hope this helps.
Bonus tip: You can also remove pre-installed bloatware using PC Decrapifier
Read: http://techdows.com/2012/11/remove-crapware-from-windows-8-pcs.html

linda September 26, 2013 at 5:50 am

Thank you! I’ll try that.

Venkat eswarlu September 26, 2013 at 1:55 pm

It is not recommended by Microsoft, I suggest you to stick to Windows Defender for basic protection, or use another antivirus on your computer. Let me know if you need any advice on this.

Aleesha October 1, 2013 at 6:48 am

I do! So, I’m perfectly protected by doing nothing… is that right?

Allanm February 28, 2014 at 1:00 am

I have new computer with Windows 8.1 ~ Claim is Windows Defender is already installed; then if I load basic antivirus from AVG, that may be enough protection for on line banking, Amazon or other purchases? How does this compare to loading McAfee level 3 protection? I am sincere in buying what is necessary without over buying or over-loading.

Venkat eswarlu October 3, 2013 at 8:45 am

Well Aleeshare no antivirus protects you 100%, but MSE offers basic protection you can switch to other free AVs like Avast, AVG and Avira for more protection.