Enable .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 8 Developer Preview to Run Applications

by Venkat eswarlu on September 17, 2011

in tips and tricks

Windows 8 Developer Preview comes included with .NET  Framework 4, so you don’t need to install any .NET Framework version on Win8, but to run installed Windows applications and portable ones Windows needs to enable and run .NET framework 3.5.1 which shown by “Turning Windows Features on or off window “with options to accept and cancel the changes.

accept .net framework 3.5.1 run times thumb Enable .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 8 Developer Preview to Run Applications

You will encounter this window every time when you try to run any app, annoying. If you Accept the changes, you’ll be connected to Windows update and required files will be downloaded.  But this process continues and never successfully completes as we observed. If you prefer to cancel option, no changes will be mode and the app simply won’t run.

Here is a permanent fix to this.

1. Open Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features >click Turn Windows features on or Off

2. Select .NET Framework 3.5.1 feature and click Ok, Windows downloads required files connecting to Windows Update

enable .net framework 3.5.1 thumb Enable .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 8 Developer Preview to Run Applications

3.  After downloading is compete,  you’ll be shown “Windows Successfully completed the request changes” message.

turn widnows features on or off thumb Enable .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 8 Developer Preview to Run Applications

That’s it from now on you can run any windows related installed apps even the portable ones without any problem.

Update: Here is how to enable .Net 3.5.1 on offline systems.

All you need is windows 8 DP installation media,

First of all create “net35″  folder in C drive.

Now open command prompt using Win +R,  type and execute the following command line

xcopy H:\sources\sxs\*.* c:\net35 /s

where H is DVD drive, it takes sometime for all files to copied you need to be patient.

After all files are copied open command prompt with admin privileges and type and execute following command line

Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:c:\net35 /LimitAccess

net enabled successfully 300x151 Enable .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 8 Developer Preview to Run Applications

Kirui September 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I have tried this several times but couldn’t succeed in enabling it. After a while downloading it gives an error and asks to restart windows and try again but gives the same error even after restarting.
I am using the 32bit and if I may ask, were you using the 32bit or 64bit?
Thanks for the post

Venkat September 17, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Am using 32-bit

eemir September 18, 2011 at 3:11 am

Thank you so much,this was helpful!

qwert September 18, 2011 at 3:13 am

Works…btw do you know the way to fix the keyboard issue…when i press z i get y and that is annoying..

pratyush November 18, 2011 at 8:43 pm

in the setup menu you had selected uk as keyboard input method go to control panel and change input method i was sufferinf from this problem 6 months ago

youdhienk September 18, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Thank’s for your information… I will try..

Kolitha September 18, 2011 at 8:55 pm

It still doesn’t DL for me. Stays there forever. -__-

Siddhartha September 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Hey i have the offline installer and i don’t have a decent net connection.
So how can i install using the offline installer ??

Venkat September 19, 2011 at 10:59 am

install the .Net 3.5.1 offline installer and then try to enable the option.

Siddhartha Lodha September 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Yes that is what i have and when i tried installing, it doesnt work !!
Did u try it ??

Meena Bassem September 20, 2011 at 1:11 am

oh, tried that, i have an offline installer of .net 3.5 too, if you try to start it,it will take you to a screen like the one on the top, asking to get it from windows update.

KV September 20, 2011 at 7:28 pm

WORKED :)
Thanks a lot.

Exotic Hadron September 23, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Hi!
I can’t get past Turn Windows features on or off dialog window when it starts to download the Framework from Windows update.
I event tried to download full redistributable setup. No go!
I click Accept Changes then Planning… window appears and after I click Connect to Windows Update I get the following error:
The following changes could not be completed
Enable:
*Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1
Reason:
* 0x800f0906 – Windows could not download necessary files from Windows Update. Check your network connection, and try again by pressing ‘Retry’ button below.

My network connection is okay. My PC in Active Directory domain with WSUS service.
I tried deleting HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Windows Update\ key but that did not help.
I believe Windows tries to get .NET Framework from our WSUS and fails for some reason.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Venkat September 25, 2011 at 8:28 am

Close all windows and apps you’re running, try to repeat the steps mentioned in that article , I reinstalled Windows 8 two times both times I enabled .Net 3.5.1 run time easily with above method. There is no alternate method other than that AFAIK.

Henrique Cesar Ferreira Gama October 5, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Ocorre o mesmo erro comigo também.

Motivo:
* 0x800f0906 – Windows poderia não baixar os arquivos necessários a partir do Windows Update. Verifique sua conexão de rede, e tente novamente pressionando ‘Repetir’ botão abaixo.

Lucas Augusto September 25, 2011 at 10:30 pm

thank you!!!!

saeed October 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm

i got 0x800f0906 erorr code
and i get erorrs in actevate windows and win update , and my connection is okay , any soulutin please

sorry about the lunguage

test October 3, 2011 at 5:38 am

see the time and time zone…correct or not?and u must have good speed of connection

AyhanSEVIMLI October 5, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I deleted strings in “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate” than tried again to enable Net 351 , (I didn’t reboot PC).
Thanks all.

Matthew Enderle October 16, 2011 at 5:14 am

Got a sure fire solution
my system>> Dell Inspiron 1545 – Win 8 DP x64bit

1. SAVE SAVE SAVE NOT RUN!!! Download offline installer

2. disable UAC
Windows Key + R > “msconfig” > tools tab > Change UAC Settings > Slide to bottom

3. Open Offline installer’s directory
C:Users{YOU}Downloads

4. Open via Admin
Right Click on Netframework.exe > Run as Administrator > Enter password if applicable

5. Install and Wait a while!

6. Profit!

orient October 18, 2011 at 11:59 am

try this :
Copy \sources\sxs\(content of sxs folder) from the mounted operating system build ISO image to a folder, for example c:\net35\ (create folder in c drive)
then run this command with administrator elevated privileges

Michail November 4, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Thanks orient this worked for me!

Rahul October 20, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Hi

i am successfully able to install it from full package.
I just did this,
Just double click on full package file then click on accept then click on connect to windows update then you have to wait for at least 5 minutes, It will check from the serve for the package is valid or not. Just wait for 5 minutes an it will install like charm.

RAJKUMAR October 22, 2011 at 9:11 am

orient October 18, 2011 at 11:59 am

try this :
then run this command with administrator elevated privileges

Worked like charm

-dai- November 12, 2011 at 11:15 pm

It stuck at 60.9% -____-;;
And I can’t go with the Download route either, my provider’s data cap is tight >_<

ATTITUDE November 5, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Tahnx very much.
I Done it.
But I hve to do it every time @ using or installing windows app or software.
But not need to download every time. It does itself apply changes in 30-45 second.

Ahmad November 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I was installing an app in Windows 8 Developer Preview and was asked to turn-on .net frame and i choose accept, it started to download from Windows Update and after 10 -15 min i got an applying feature changes message and then .net frame was enabled successfully without any need to go through the control panel steps.

hlainghtet November 14, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I don’t like this window .
This is very disturbing or annoying to one’s sight and very complex.
Window 8 have a problem if install another Setup File on this OS.
I think that the all of OS is very easy and complete security .
So,I don’t like this Window Developer Preview (W8)
I think that very easy to install the all framework / another setup files.

FIROZ November 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Hello
I’m a noob plzz make me understand this process step by step
then run this command with administrator elevated privileges

Blackbull November 27, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Open the new folder in explorer (assuming c:\net35)
File menu-Open command prompt-Open command prompt as Administrator
Run the command:

That’s all. Works!

orient November 28, 2011 at 10:37 am

1. mount your win 8 iso. search a folder called “sxs” (its in “sources” folder).
2. copy all of the content of sxs folder (just the content),create a folder in your c drive n name it “net35″ and than paste it in to this net35 folder.
3. run a command prompt with administrator elevated privileges and type this command : Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:c:\net35 /LimitAccess

wait a a few minute until gets 100%,,,

sid December 8, 2011 at 6:37 pm

getting error:87 running 64bit

sid December 8, 2011 at 6:39 pm

The online/enable-feature/featurename option is not available

rox charlie December 8, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Didn’t work …..
stuck at 66.5 % DISM failed. No operation was performed.

Error: 0x800fo906

dobest January 3, 2012 at 8:09 pm

me too

nEo.X December 9, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I also faced the same problem (stuck @ 60%)
Below procedure helped me.
——————————————————————————–
1.Copy\sources\sxs\ from the mounted operating system build ISO image to dotnet35 or similar folder. For example:
xcopy e:\sources\sxs\*.* c:\dotnet35 /s

2.Execute the following command line using admin privileges:
Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:c:\dotnet35 /LimitAccess

Manish Raj December 9, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Hi,
I have the same problem. I couldn’t install .netframework 3.5.1 .I follow the process but at the end, i got an error message. Whenever i started my computer error message comes. I am getting following window.
———————————————————————————————————
Windows could not complete the request changes.
Reason:
.0×80004005 – Unspecified error
Finish
———————————————————————————————————

I Don't Know December 10, 2011 at 10:43 pm

its not working not even show a single error i wait for 5 hours and nothing happens

any help pls

Sourabh December 12, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Its not working……..help me plse.

I Don't Know December 13, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Yea it finely working :D

thx

jasad golgi December 21, 2011 at 9:17 am

i try your technique but when i wait till half an hour the download progress still not finish..why?my internet connection very good..download rate 1-2 Mbps

Manish Raj December 21, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Don’t worry keep trying. I think this is the only way to solve this.

Good luck

Robert McBroom December 28, 2011 at 10:16 pm

What do you do with a test system that doesn’t connect to the internet? Tried the download from Microsoft but it goes to the connect screen as well.

Robert McBroom December 28, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Whoops, didn’t see the posts on using the dvd. Looks like it worked.

fardin January 5, 2012 at 11:50 pm

very thank for your help

vampirezh January 8, 2012 at 2:56 pm

man this doesnt work here is the error information

error :0x800f081f
The source files could not be found.
Use the /source option to specify the location of the files that are required to
restore the feature. The file location should be either the root directory of a
mounted image or a component store that has the Windows Side-by-Side directory
as an immediate subfolder.

Ives January 14, 2012 at 5:54 am

Worked for me! THANKS A LOT!

PS – It took some time to for the Dism.exe command to finish (stuck at 60.9 then at 99.8) so just be patient!!!!!!!!
PPS – copy the command lines the person posted (as there are spaces that are needed) and right click in cmd, then Paste! :) SIMPLE!

Thanks again for the help! :)

Ives January 14, 2012 at 5:55 am

To make it easier for yourselves, use the OFFLINE method!

unknown January 15, 2012 at 6:15 am

Guys, if it pops up to enable it just cancel it then:

Simple! :) thank u

kailash January 20, 2012 at 8:25 am

Thanks dude….
Its Works 100%…..
Use offline method….

Ayren J January 21, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Excellent!!! Thanks.

mafia January 27, 2012 at 4:40 pm

i’m tryed Offline.
too easy and work 1oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo% !!!
it’s great ,thanks dude.
:-P

Rufina Mercelene January 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Great Job !!! Thank you for the guide.

CJNOATIA January 31, 2012 at 10:02 pm

well i did it in a different way.. but basic trick is the trick posted in the above post. i just configured it in my own way. thanks. its working

Bhaskar February 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm

When i try it i am getting the following error.

C:\Users\Administrator.Zensar-PC>Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:N
etFX3 /All /Source:C:\net35\dotnetfx35.exe /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.2.8102.0

Image Version: 6.2.8102.0

Enabling feature(s)
[===========================65.8%====== ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
restore the feature. The file location should be either the root directory of a
mounted image or a component store that has the Windows Side-by-Side directory
as an immediate subfolder.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Payal February 6, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I am using the offline method but still getting the error:
0*800F081F- The changes could not be completed. Please reboot your computer and try again.

Mac February 10, 2012 at 9:58 am

WOW MAN, Thanks a lot, Steps given by you worked like charm, Now I ran my program and it ran smoothly. Thanks again Bro. :-D

ABHISHEK CHHABRA February 26, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Worked for me cool ,Thanks a ton :)

Falek February 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm

the correct command line:

DONT TYPE THE [space]

dism.exe/online [space] /enable-feature [space] /featurename:NetFX3 [space] /source:c:\net35 [space] /limitaccess

sandip February 29, 2012 at 9:29 am

than 65.5% go than stop and speak error 0x800f081f and the source file is not found.
and dism log file can be found at c:\windows\logsdism\dism.log.how to eneble this plecae help me……………………………………………………………………..

rahman March 1, 2012 at 12:40 am

Thank U Very Much………….

Animesh kumar March 1, 2012 at 4:44 am

it’s really works

Rick March 2, 2012 at 12:28 am

TKS! It worked perfectly *–*

hu March 2, 2012 at 10:57 am

yo, it’s works, thank a lot

sionathan March 2, 2012 at 11:53 pm

The operation completed successfully. Thanks @Venkat!!

Dotor March 4, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Well, does this process work in windows 8 consumer preview 64 bit … Nope it does not …. What to do ? Please Help

Edmund Seah March 5, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Im running windows 8 consumer preview 64 bit.

It worked! (I am running my third party apps that requires .net framework 2.0)

Remember to Copy and paste the commands from the above original post!!
Download .net framework 3.5 full package from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=25150
Run CMD under Administrator mode.

Edmund Seah March 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm

BTW, I used the OffLine method from the above instructions.

This is what I did.

1. Step one, go http://www.poweriso.com/download.htm and download tool.
2. Download a copy windows 8 ISO version
3. Use power ISO to mount your Windows 8 ISO as a DVD.
4. Download the full package for .Net Framework 3.5 from Internet http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=25150
5. Follow instruction on http://techdows.com/2011/09/enable-net-framework-3-5-1-on-windows-8-developer-preview-to-run-applications.html (Using the Offline method)

hasitte March 15, 2012 at 12:29 am

in windows 8 consumer preview( Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:c:\net35 ) write this code

hiren potter March 22, 2012 at 9:48 pm

i use win8 cp 32bit,,

when i install net fremwork 3.f then it stoped downloading at end of download

Ab March 24, 2012 at 10:31 am

Thank you very much. U really rocksss……

mehri76 March 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Really Thanks.It Worked!.I just copied the files from the windows Installation Cd andto the C:\net35 and did the step 2.Thanks Again.

Anil Mathews July 9, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Thanks…it works GREAT…!!!!

Jade July 17, 2012 at 6:01 am

I have tried everything suggested.. I have a 64bit version. I tried doing it offline as suggested, I tried enabling it in the control panel, I tried doing it in cmd(admin) and it gives me a 32bit problem, so I used 64bit cmd and the commands enable-feature is not allowed.. This is crap

Jonathan August 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I have 64 bit version, i tried online and didnt work. then i tried it offline then worked!!!
thanks.

Venkat August 29, 2012 at 6:32 am

Glad to know that it worked for you.

PolaPaiN September 1, 2012 at 12:59 am

where i can found the offline installer? plz help guyz i am in real trouble

Venkat September 1, 2012 at 10:08 am

Are you asking offline activation method?or for .NET 3.5 offline installer
offline activation method written in the post, and here is .net 3.5 offline installer link
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/e/20e90413-712f-438c-988e-fdaa79a8ac3d/dotnetfx35.exe (231 MB)

alek September 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm

It’s not working any of this suggestion

Venkat September 9, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Can you tell you me what’s happening on your end, then I may help you.

soupcan October 14, 2012 at 9:40 pm

hello, i can’t get it work. it always says the same thing on the cmd if i try to install it:

C:\Users\*****>Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:c
:\net35 /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.2.9200.16384

Error: 11

You cannot service a running 64-bit operating system with a 32-bit version of DI
SM.
Please use the version of DISM that corresponds to your computer’s architecture.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\Users\******>

__________________________________________________________

this always happens regardless of the windows version (x64/x86).

Any advice here?

Venkat October 15, 2012 at 8:01 am

First time hearing about this error, will let you know as a reply If I know the solution.Thanks.

ender November 11, 2012 at 11:20 pm

This doesn’t work for me, I go to turn that feature on, and the download fails. Please help!

Tiago November 17, 2012 at 3:18 am

Hi, I’m the 5th person here with the same error message and no answer:

0x800f081f

Moustik2000 November 28, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Thank, it’s working!

Venkat November 29, 2012 at 6:17 am

Glad to know that and welcome to Techdows.

daniels November 30, 2012 at 6:14 pm

i have tried and have this :

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version 6.2.9200.16384

Image Version : 6.2.9200.16384
Enabling feature(s)
[========================65.8%======

Error 0x800f081f

The source file could not be found.
Use the “Source” option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

can you help me?

Venkat December 1, 2012 at 6:53 am

Have you created folder for net35 as mentioned above? make sure drive letter of dvd drive you entered also right, i request you to try all three methods.
1.Ran a .Net 3.5 dependent program and try to let it enable feature through windows update
2. enable feature in control panel
3. last resort is offline method.

Pourya December 3, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Your methode not working on 64 bit system
Many people have my problem

Venkat December 4, 2012 at 10:49 am
Hitesh December 25, 2012 at 4:52 pm

huff huff huff
after a long hit and trail methods, i.e. trying to write and execute the above “dism.exe/online ..bla bla bla ” code in many different ways, I finally got it to work.

Open cmd in admin mode and navigate to dir c:\Windows\Logs
(Navigating to that dir doesn’t seem to make any difference but mine hit&trial method worked when I was residing inside that dir, hence I’m just being cautious)

Now write the code
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3

The “Source” flag isn’t really required, windows uses some hidden files to do the rest of the job for you, if it doesn’t work then specify the ‘source’ flag
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /source:c:\net35

and yes remember your process might fail during mid-installation, mine first stopped at 66.5, then at 65.x, 68.x, so keep trying it will soon work.

I’m using Win8 64bit Consumer Evaluation version.

Hope this helps

Kevadia Harmish December 31, 2012 at 8:37 pm

heyy,,
in my laptop it shows that dism.log file is missing..

so now what can i do

Pankaj January 29, 2013 at 9:59 pm

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3
its not working on 64 bit systems…error 87

girish February 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Wow great job. Offline trick works for sure.

Pedrovsky March 12, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Hi, hitesh, it worked, but i had to use your exactly procedure, the other ones didnt work, thank you, very much.

Regards

SEMEFA April 1, 2013 at 4:58 am

i have tried all options but is still not working. pls help.

wisani April 5, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I’ve done everything and I’m at the last prompt..”Dism” it reads. Error 87
( Dism doesn’t recognize the command-line option “”””) please help

Salik February 13, 2014 at 12:20 am

Thnx to tell me where to put spaces worked 100 pr

Ihetu Anthony A April 5, 2014 at 10:02 am

I have A MacBook Pro and I am using windows 8 pro. But any time i want install Corel draw 13, 15 or 16, it will require .netframe work 3.5 sp 1 which i have several times to download but i can’t. what will i do please.