How to Downgrade from Firefox 7 to Firefox 6

by Venkat eswarlu on September 28, 2011

in Firefox,How to,tips and tricks

After Firefox 4, Firefox 7 is the major release (Firefox 5 & 6 are more of small updates than anything else), we’re not recommending users here to downgrade to Firefox older version, but if we set aside Firefox’s low memory usage,  if some of your favorite add-ons not compatible with this version (we’re getting comments too from readers that RoboForm not compatible or works in Firefox 7) the only way they’ll work is getting back to Firefox 6 without loosing any settings or extensions or bookmarks is through downgrading to older Firefox version, here is how to downgrade to Firefox 6 from Firefox 7.

downgrading from Firefox 7 to Firefox 6 thumb How to Downgrade from Firefox 7 to Firefox 6

Downgrading from Firefox 7 to Firefox 6.0.2

1. Visit Firefox releases folder located in Mozilla FTP Server directory in your browser.

2.  Open 6.0.2>Win32>en-US and download Firefox 6.0.2 set up file from there and install it over Firefox 7 in your Computer.

3. You’ll be automatically downgraded to Firefox 6.0.2 without loosing any settings or extensions.

Do disable updates for Firefox in Advanced options under update.

Note: Firefox lovers don’t be harsh on us, we do use Firefox as primary and default browser, this article is written as a helpful guide for those users who wants to get back to Firefox 6. Once again we’re not recommending users to downgrade to Firefox older version.

Taylor September 30, 2011 at 4:12 am

I’m doing this because my college’s online mail system for me to communicate with professors no longer works in 7. I have always been a very dedicated Firefox user, but I hope they fix this problem. I can’t ever have 7 if I can’t contact people for my online classes.

Chris September 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I’m doing this because my job relies on an add-on that 7 breaks. If you ask me, no backwards support for add-ons is a bug!!
By the way, the first link of yours above asks for a username/password which can be skipped by leaving both empty. Also, on that page the links to versions above 3.5 seem to have been removed, but I found that the folders are actually still there, so try this: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/6.0.2/

Gareth Shaw September 30, 2011 at 7:08 pm

All of my add-ons stopped working, the double clicking to create a new tab of course stopped working which took me ages to realise was simply that the add-on was no longer running. Firefox really need to sort this kinda stuf before releasing. As a developer I use FF, Chrome, IE, Opera and well you name it, but FF is my default. After the memory leaks in 3 & 4 and now this issue with none of the add-ons working, i might have to reconsider. When I reinstalled my software firewall it also threw a hissy fit about FF and wouldn’t let it talk to the internet, ended up running my firewall in learn mode so I could teach it about all of the extra bits that FF does when chatting to the internet!

Eberhard September 30, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I am doing this since Roundcube Webmail shows faulty entries in Firefox 7. I rely on this Webmail interface for many of my e-mails.

j.j. October 3, 2011 at 7:50 am

> I am doing this since Roundcube Webmail shows faulty entries in Firefox 7

This is fixed in Roundcube 0.6 . See

marantis October 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Google Web Toolkit (GWT) doesn’t work with Firefox 7 at the moment!

This version and api chaos by firefox is horrible and absolut unprofessional!

YK October 11, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I am doing this because the Widevine plug-in does not yet support Firefox 7

Kicker16 October 17, 2011 at 9:26 am

FireFox 7 is TERRIBLE!!! I can’t believe how much I timeout with the new version. Extremely buggy. Users shouldn’t use this version. Go back to 6 and wait for a more stable release then 7.

Meg October 19, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I have been having dozens of productivity problems due to the recent upgrade. thanks for this article. It seems the Mozilla website is set up to prevent you from finding this info!

jason October 20, 2011 at 10:29 am

I’m doing this because Firefox 7 constantly freezes.

nikolasa October 20, 2011 at 11:54 am

Yep, heaps of plugins (wp) I use don’t work in Firefox 7 – including Wp-geotagger, Facebook Box and Twitter feed – seriously I tell everyone to switch to FF but NOT FF7!!!