With HTML5 dominance, rumors buzzed around whether Microsoft will unveil Silverlight’s next version, Silverlight 5 or not, but Microsoft today announced Silverlight 5 . Silverlight allows developers to create rich content for websites much similar to Adobe Flash. Users need to install Silverlight in their Computers to view websites developed on Silverlight.
Microsoft wanted to use Silverlight as cross-platform for Web, PC, mobile but it seems Microsoft will use Silverlight at least for Windows Phone applications. Microsoft is in favor of HTML5 web standard as it makes it easy for developers to create websites as apps.
Silverlight 5 Beta will be available in first half of 2011.
Silverlight 5 Beta features
- Hardware Decode and presentation of H.264 improve performance for lower -power devices to render HD video using GPU support.
- TrickPlay allows videos to be played at different speeds and supports fast-forward and rewind. At up-to twice the speed, audio pitch correction allows users to watch videos while preserving normal audio patch.
- Improved power awareness prevents the screen saver from being shown while watching video, and allows the Computer to sleep when video is not active.
- Remote-control support allows users to control media playback.
- Digital rights management advancement allows seamless switching between DRM media resources.