CCleaner apart from cleaning temporary files from your Computer also protects your privacy by removing browsers history and other temporary internet files,having been using CCleaner since long time I have never seen CCleaner notifying me about when new version of CCleaner is released, here is how to set CCleaner to notify you when new version is available for download.
Generally Piriform releases updates for CCleaner every month but they are releasing newer versions quite often now with release of new browsers and applications.
Setting CCleaner to notify you when new version is available
1.First make sure Check for Updates settings is enabled for CCleaner you can check this by opening CCleaner >Options>Settings and see “Automatically Check for updates to CCleaner” is selected.
2.Windows Firewall also may block CCleaner in checking for updates, to allow this program to check for updates add CCleaner as an exception under Firewall settings
- In Windows XP Open Control Panel, and then Firewall.
- Click Exceptions, click Add Program and then select CCleaner, click Ok to Save Changes.
- Now CCleaner appears under Exceptions for Programs and Services that Windows Firewall will not block.
Do Same in Windows 7 also.
- Open Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Firewall
- Click Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall
- Click Allow another program,select CCleaner click Add , click Ok to save changes.
From now on when ever you open CCleaner it automatically checks for updates and notifies you when update is available.
3.You can also manually check for updates by clicking “check for updates” link appears at the bottom of program window
4.You can also use free application, CC Auto Updater which automatically updates CCleaner to new version.