How to Downgrade from IE9 to IE8

by Venkat eswarlu on September 19, 2010

in How to,Internet Explorer,tips and tricks

If you have installed recently released Internet Explorer 9  Beta in your Computer, you may have come to know that you can no longer access IE8, IE9 beta is still pre-release software with plenty of bugs needs to fix and some websites, add-ons may not compatible with IE9 If you have enough reasons to get back to IE8 from IE9 by uninstalling IE9 which is called downgrading, here is how to downgrade from IE9 to IE8.

On Installing IE9, your Internet Explorer 8 version will be upgraded to IE9, and IE9 will be installed as an update rather than as program hence it will not appear in programs list under Programs and Features.

So we need to remove IE9 update.

Downgrading from IE9 to IE8

1.Close all programs, click Start and click Control Panel.

2.Click “Uninstall a Program” under Programs category.

3.Click “View installed updates” option in the task pane.

4.Now select Windows Internet Explorer 9 shown under Microsoft Windows Updates, click Uninstall and follow the instructions on the screen.

downgradetoIE8fromIE9 thumb How to Downgrade from IE9 to IE8

IE9 uninstall process lasts for minimum 3 minutes and you will be able to access Internet Explorer 8 as usual after restart.

Note:I recommend users to create a restore point before uninstalling IE9 because whenever you want to try IE9, you can get it through system restore option in Windows.

Nicolas Charabaty October 6, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I can’t find Windows Internet Explorer 9 in the installed updates.

Venkat October 6, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Which Operating System are u using Windows Vista or 7 if you installed IE9 it will be shown under installed updates.
Anyway try restore point if any created at time of IE9 install.

tom December 1, 2010 at 10:54 am

it should be under the “Microsoft windows (#)” in the installed updates

A happier user May 10, 2011 at 2:48 am

Thanks. This worked on DW8 with adobe’s suggestions did not.

rajan July 9, 2011 at 12:30 am

thanks man very much

arthymus October 12, 2010 at 2:09 am

tu
this works fine

mahutchinson October 22, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I definitely read that IE 9 runs in tandem with 8 and doesn’t replace it but that does not seem to be the case.

Bartosz Leper October 28, 2010 at 5:54 pm

@mahutchinson: It was true about IE 9 Platform Preview, which was not a full browser, but just IE 9 engine inside a draft UI.

Alex November 7, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Thank you so much for putting this online! An add-on I use every day doesn’t work with IE9 but does with IE8. I couldn’t find IE9 on my installed programs list and the internet was my last resort. And this site came up on the first page of a Google search!

Jason February 9, 2011 at 10:27 am

Alternatively, this video explains it:

Robert Crevisour February 17, 2011 at 2:50 am

Wish I had read more about 9 before installing it. Eliminated some of my bookmarks and the tool bars. Glad you have the procedures for uninstalling it. Your instructions worked just fine. Thanks

themesmile February 19, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I’ve been looking for this. This really helps a lot. Thanks for your post

esther February 28, 2011 at 10:22 am

why , even have ie9 if its incomplete? just another botersome thing to deal with, as if there wer’nt enough already!!

matt March 16, 2011 at 2:56 pm

ie9 release sucks balls, i need to uninstall the final release. The interface is terrible, i preferred 8 interface hands-down.

Suzi Rayner March 28, 2011 at 1:47 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this information on how to rid my computer of ie9…IE9 SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kay March 31, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Thanks so much for this, the new IE9 just isn’t good…I didn’t even upgrade to it, my stupid computer did thanks to Windows Updater! I’m going to have to tweak the settings a bit, I won’t be using IE 9 for a while yet. ughhhh no offense to Microsoft, but they could’ve done better. Wayyyyy better.

A Luddite April 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm

thank you for this. ie9 is both a system hog and over-streamlined. all i ever wanted in life was a browser that had a google seach box in the top right, that didn’t drain my system, and which didn’t have a strange problem of graphically blinking every so often.

Thanks to you, I won’t have to put up with this nonsense any longer!
Thank you very much!

Pieter van Els April 13, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I have followed your instructions (twice now), but after reboot and restart of IE it still comes back with IE 9. Any help would be appreciated….
Thanks
Pieter

Ron Shepherd May 10, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Thank you for posting the instructions for downgrading to IE8 on VISTA. It fixed the problem beautifully. In fact, I have been trying for the past several days to fix my text display which was almost unreadable. Letters were smaller and somewhat shimmering and mostly annoying. Downgrading to IE8 fixed that problem to. I never would have made the connection between these problem were it not for you. Thank you thank you thank you.
Ron

Maggie May 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I have the same problem as Pieter.I am using windows 7.I’d appreciate your help.Thanks

BC May 16, 2011 at 10:08 am

Thank you, thank you …..and thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Thank God that you have put this solution on the web. I love you, love the internet. !!!!!

Koko May 22, 2011 at 2:39 am

Thanks so much for the info – i cannot believe how awful IE9 is, its been driving me crazy for weeks and weeks! In the process of uninstalling it right now!!!!

Get a grip microsoft!

Essa May 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Thanx so much friend

Ivan Chesney May 25, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Thank you very much. IE9 was just awful. When I clicked yes to upgrade I trusted MS and just said yes. Wish I hadn’t. Caused all sorts of problems with add-ons etc, but worst was Adobe Flash Player plus all those stupid flashing ads on the left of the screen which virtually prevented me from using hotmail properly. So well done MS you’ve triumphed again!!!!!!!!! Sending me an upgrade, that I didn’t want which in fact corrupted use of YOUR e-mail web program.

smylla June 15, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Thank you so much! You saved me from going mad with IE9. First I thought I had a virus and then I was told, that’s just the way it is with IE9, I am talking about this mad flickering of ads on some pages. Impossible to work like that apart from other stuff that didn’t work ok. For me to it was an automated update, will change my settings there.
I am just so glad I am back to IE8 and it works fine!
Thanks again!

Manoharan June 24, 2011 at 10:11 am

daniel July 2, 2011 at 3:20 am

thks.. for the tip it works 100%

Diiinnovation August 26, 2011 at 4:59 pm

thanks for lovely blog.

Aathi December 27, 2011 at 10:59 pm

This information is very helpful. Thank you so much.. It worked.!!!

Duane January 12, 2012 at 9:34 am

I followed the instructions as stated from first to last part but in my case here in the Uninstalling option from Control Panel I could’nt any Windows Internet Explorer 9 or Microsoft windows (#) and I’m on Windows 7 OS. can anyone guide me through…

Duane January 12, 2012 at 9:47 am

I have found the answer on how to uninstall the IE9 and go back to the previous version which is IE8, if incase you can’t find the solution on how to do it from Control Panel, here the other way.

Step 1: Open the Start Menu, then type View Installed Updates and press enter.
Step 2: Search for Windows Internet Explorer 9 in the list, and double click on it.
NOTE: It could take a moment for the entire list to load.
Step 3: Click on Yes when prompted to uninstall it or not. It should start uninstalling it then.
Step 4: Once you have completed step 3, click on the Uninstall a program link in the left pane.
Step 5: Look for Feedback Tool in the list of installed programs, then double click on it to uninstall it.
NOTE: Feedback Tool will only be listed if you currently have the IE9 RC or IE9 Beta installed. If you installed the IE9 RTM final version, then this is removed during the installation of the IE9 RTM.

Once you’ve done that, you are finished!

Tony Catalano August 1, 2012 at 10:02 am

Hi Venkat,

is it possible to remove IE9 from a new pc which came with it already installed… and go with IE8? Laptop has Windows7 Ultimate (upgraded myself from Home Premium)

Thanks
Tony C.

Venkat August 1, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I think so, have u checked IE9 under installed updates. If it not found then use Fix it Tool released by Microsoft to remove IE9 from your Computer.
You can know more details in the below post.
And let me know if it worked for you.

Tono December 5, 2012 at 6:44 am

ROJY SAM RAJU February 13, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Thanks is working……………..

Venkat eswarlu February 13, 2013 at 5:37 pm

You’re welcome.

pradeep goyal September 17, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Thank you, I had lost so much energy and time for doing this. With the help of these notes, I had done it with in few minutes.

veena November 28, 2013 at 5:35 pm