After installing Microsoft .NET framework on your computer, you may observe mscorsvw.exe process running in the background in the Task Manager. Sometimes, this process consumes up to 100 percent CPU usage and slows your system down, let’s take a look at what is this process? And how to disable mscorsvw.exe from running in the task manager.
Update July 27 2014: added commands to stop mscorsvw.exe in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.
Mscorsvw.exe is a process related to Microsoft .NET framework and is used to precompile .Net framework assemblies in the background.
This process runs only in the background if it needs to compile highest priority assemblies after installing .NET framework redistributable and an application using .NET framework is installed to have its assemblies compiled.
Normally precompiling high priority assemblies will be done by mscorsvw.exe with in 5 to 10 minutes, and then, it will try to process low priority assemblies when your computer is idle.
Whatever be the reason if you found mscorsvw.exe process running in task manager annoying let me tell you we can shutdown mscorsvw.exe process quickly.
Disabling or stopping mscorsvw.exe
1. On Windows XP: Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 in Windows Explorer (assuming you’ve .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.5 installed)
On Windows 7, you need to navigate to ‘C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319′ (assuming you’ve above .NET 4 version installed in your computer)
For 64-bit this is path: ‘C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319′
2. Open the command prompt by typing cmd in run box (use Win key+R ) and press enter.
3. Type cd/ and press Enter.
4. Now, we need to specify above mentioned path in command and type ngen.exe executequeueditems and press enter as shown below without quotes.
XP: “C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>ngen.exe executequeueditems”
32-bit Windows 7 : “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe executeQueuedItems ”
64-bit: “C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe executeQueuedItems”
32-bit Windows 8/8.1 : C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe executeQueuedItems
schTasks /run /Tn “\Microsoft\Windows\.NET Framework\.NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319″
64-bit: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe executeQueuedItems
schTasks /run /Tn “\Microsoft\Windows\.NET Framework\.NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319 64″
5. Now wait for the process to precompile all assemblies, after a couple of minutes it will be completed.
6. Restart your computer, after restart, now you observe there will be no mscorsvw.exe process running in task manager.