How to revert back to Old Gmail layout

by Venkat eswarlu on August 11, 2010

in How to,tips and tricks

Gmail logo thumb How to revert back to Old Gmail layout

Today Google updated  Gmail contacts and rolled out new layout for Gmail, as getting used to older layout of Gmail I really not felt that much comfortable with new Gmail look and also the theme I am using for Gmail making Gmail user interface  look more ugly and uncomfortable to navigate.Is there is way to get older version of Gmail,yes but by loosing some Gmail features like Themes.

You can read the changes in Gmail look and updates to contacts here.

To get back to old Gmail layout

1.On Gmail footer click  “older version “ , you will get Gmail old layout but themes will be disabled.Your Gmail layout will be with classic theme.

gettingbacktoolderGmaillayout thumb How to revert back to Old Gmail layout

2.You can also access old Google contact manager in new Gmail by clicking “old Contact manager”  link shown at the Gmail footer.

3.After switching to older version you can get back to newer version of Gmail by clicking “Newer Version “ link on right hand side on top of screen.

At present these are options to get older version of Gmail back or accessing older contact manager from Gmail new version .

You can read the changes in Gmail look and updates to contacts here.

I will update and let you know If I found any other ways  to get old Gmail layout back without loosing themes and other features.

avj August 16, 2010 at 6:55 pm

it says that this view will be switched off in September :/

Venkat August 16, 2010 at 7:24 pm

@avj
We have to live with new version of Gmail from september onwards as Google decided it, I can’t do anything about that.At least you can access older version for another 15 days.
Don’t worry as mentioned in the post I will update this post or new one with any workaround to access Old Gmail layout if I found.
Stay tuned .

Brian August 20, 2010 at 1:38 am

There must be a way to convince google that the new contact manager is bullshit. Its a step backward. I miss the clearness of the old design. No Contactimages. Feels just like an old programm from the 90s!

Gozde November 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I don’t have the option to switch back to the old look !!! Why is that so? I hate this new look!

Charles Marin November 3, 2011 at 10:28 pm

This didn’t work for me. There is no “older version” link at the bottom of my Gmail page.

Kimberly November 5, 2011 at 12:29 am

Hey, I can’t even see the bottom footers that say “older version”. I can’t see my tabs, or the stars for priority mail… WHAT IS GOING ON… if I didn’t have the tabs memorized, I wouldn’t know what button does what unless I hover over it, then I can see it… this is absolutely horrible… I gave it a day… and it just went down hill…

PLEASE, DO SOMETHING TO REVERT OR FIX THE BUGS….

K

david November 11, 2011 at 7:17 am

Agree with others …the new look is horrible ….and unless I’m imagining it everything seems to work more slowly .

ANNE Kahlert November 15, 2011 at 7:07 am

I carnt stand the new look its hard I am in A wheelchair and have Eplisy and my Life is
hard enough

James Thalacker December 31, 2011 at 12:09 am

In the new format you have hidden the Contacts and Task links . I want to be able to click on them to view. …. Where did you put them in the new format ? Thanks , Jim T

Rashid September 22, 2012 at 10:37 am

there is nothing shown that about this old version in my mail.
kindly email me fully steps.
raxhidpk@gmail.com
thnx

Venkat September 22, 2012 at 11:40 am

You’ve to live with this, there is no way of getting back old Gmail design, this is applies to all users.