If you are using the popular VLC Media Player, you can check updates for it from it’s help menu. It is always recommended to use the latest version because the newly released version contains bug fixes found in the previous VLC version. Let us take a look how we can update VLC Media Player manually.
The problem with this update method is VLC Media Player doesn’t support incremental update much like we used with the Browser like Firefox, Chrome and Vivaldi.
Updating VLC media player
1. Open VLC Player, select Help Menu and click “Check for Updates”
2. VLC Media Player launches an update request and shows if an update is available, like below.
3. If you click ‘Yes’ to download the update, VLC downloads it and asks your permission to install with a dialog ‘ The new version was successfully downloaded. Do you want to close VLC and install it now?’
4. Click ‘Install’, VLC install wizard will run and asks you to take decision to upgrade using previous settings or change settings, choose the former option, this will carry your previous settings to the new version.
5. VLC Setup removes the older version and installs the newer one.
Note: By preferring the upgrade option, you will not lose all your customization done for VLC player in older version.