If you are using latest version of Google Chrome Dev Channel you can install Google Web Apps in Google Chrome very easily which is Google working on at the moment.
Browser treats webpage and web apps same but for your loved web apps like Facebook and Gmail may not optimal to run in tabbed browsing UI instead installing web apps is much better solution where
- Web apps appears as icon on Google Chrome’s application launch area where users can easily distinguish between tabs and web apps
- Web apps are integrated with the operating system and user can easily granted permissions when compared to web pages.
Here is how to install Google web apps in Google Chrome
Why I say Google Web apps currently Google Chrome developer channel contains Google apps only.
- Make sure you are using latest Google Chrome dev channel
- Right click on Chrome desktop shortcut and click properties and add –enable-apps after Chrome.exe in the Target field.
- Click Apply and Ok to save changes.
- Now run Google Chrome and type Chrome://extensions in the address bar and enter
- Now expand Developer mode and click “Load unpacked extension” which asks to “select the extension directory”, navigate to
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\[Version]\resources (Vista, Windows 7)
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\[Version] \resources (Windows XP)
Add gmail_app,calendar_app,docs_app one by one .You will observe web apps being added to new tab page.
Google will launch Chrome Web Store for web apps for users to install web apps(via).