Having covered playing videos in VLC player with special effects, that’s real fun. These days richest video format that will play on portable devices is MP4 format, lot of users depends on commercial software to convert video files to MP4 format, but the free, open source VLC player can convert any video file (format) to MP4 format.
Before conversion of video to MP4, make sure you are using the latest version of VLC player
VLC 1.0.3 for Windows.
1. Open VLC player, click on the Media menu, select Convert/Save (or use Ctrl +R),
2. In “Open Media” window, under File selection of File tab, click ‘Add ‘to add the Video file you want to convert to MP4 format.
After adding a video file, click “convert/save” and a window opens showing source and destination file paths.
3. Now click ‘Browse’ under ‘Destination’ and name the “Destination File” name as desired with mp4 extension and click ‘Save’
4. Opposite to Profile under Settings, choose Video-H.264+ MP3 (Mp4) format as shown in figure. Beside the chosen mp4 format, select “edit profile settings” which appears with wrench icon and, under Encapsulation tab select ‘MP4/MOV’ and save the changes.
5. Click ‘Start’ for the VLC player to begin the conversion to MP4 file, after the conversion, VLC player saves converted file in destination file path.
Using the above steps, we’ve successfully converted a webM file to MP4, you can also do that as well.
Note: This article has been updated with new information and screenshots.