The new CCleaner 2.2.7 version has been released, which supports secure wiping of MFT free space for NTFS drives. This version has lots of new features and came with fixes to bugs found in previous versions. Piriform has also added an option to turn off jumplists tasks in Windows 7.
What is MFT Free Space on NTFS Drives
Most users use NTFS file system rather than FAT32 file system, since it supports large drives, offers better performance and encryption of files and folders. MFT means Master File Table, which contains an index of files on NTFS drives. As computer overwrite and delete files, MFT will be filled with the free space which will contain index of pointers to deleted files, you can now set CCleaner to wipe this MFT free space.
Download CCleaner 2.27, install it on your computer. Now open it, click’ Options’, select Settings and opposite to “Wipe Free Space drives”, select drives for which you wish to wipe MFT free Space and enable “Wipe MFT Free Space” under the menu as shown below in figure.
Here some of the additional features added to CCleaner
1. Added support to Wipe MFT Free Space.
2. Added cleaning of Windows Explorer Breadcrumb bar.
3. Added cleaning of Opera Beta versions also.
4. Added option to turn off CCleaner jumplists tasks in Windows 7.
5. Improved security in delete files.
For more bugs fixed read CCleaner 2.27 release notes on Piriform blog.
- Reclaim 40 MB of Hard Drive space daily by removing incavi.avm file from Your Computer
- 2 Better Alternatives to Add or Remove Programs that are Freeware
- 4 Useful Tips of Windows You May not Know
- 2 Ways to Delete Index.dat File
- 3 Tips of CCleaner You may not Know