The debate on why the popular micro blogging platform twitter limited to 140 characters only continues. This 140 characters conversation service given life to some URL shortners like bit.ly and closed the road to URL shorteners like tr.im.
The reason is clear from Twitter.
As you know, twitter users can send tweets from their mobile phones also. Though, now there are more users using twitter from web, twitter stuck to 140 characters because of wider use of twitter through mobile networks. The number of People tweeting from mobile phones going to increase than decrease.
As mobile phones able to send SMS only with a text of 160 characters. So here how twitter considered using 140 characters only
To send a text message from mobile phone to twitter, twitter reserves
20 characters for username
140 characters for message.
So everyone has 140 characters left to communicate with their followers.
- Qwitter: Get Email Alerts When Someone Stops Following You On Twitter
- 11 Advantages of Using Twitter
- Google Obeys Twitter’s Dominance ,Asks Adsense Publishers to Follow on Twitter
- Print Your Twitter:Print All Your Tweets
- How to add Twitter Updates to Your Blog’s sidebar
- 8 Reasons for Anyone to Follow You on Twitter