What is Msocache? how to remove it from your Computer

by Venkat eswarlu on May 13, 2009

in tips and tricks

What is Msocache? how to remove it from your Computer

On one morning when you open My computer,you will observe one hidden folder named Msocache consuming lot of disk space  in a partition of your hard drive which is  having lot of free space.What is this Msocahe folder? why is it in my computer? how should I remove this to regain the free disk space?

What is MSoCache?

According to Microsoft ,Msocache is called as Local Install source(LIS) which will be copied to a partition on your hard drive during the installation of Office 2003.This is a hidden folder having install source files from Office 2003 CD.

What is use of MsoCache?

Whenever you want to repair or update office 2003 with patches and service packs this will be useful so that you don’t need to insert Office 2003 CD again and again when required, that’s why Msocache is called as Local Install Source.

These local install source files from office 2003 CD will be copied to  hidden Msocahe folder during install of Office 2003 and this will occupy 270MB ,removing this folder will give you 270MB free space.Since these days hard drives coming with higher storage  capacity more than 250GB ,if you don’t worried that space occupied by Msocache folder  you can stay remain it in your Computer ,if you want to regain free space of 270 MB you can remove it safely from your computer.

How to remove Msocahe from my  Computer?

Removing Msocache is not just selecting the Msocache folder and deleting it, you should never do this which is not recommended also.There are 2 ways to remove Msocache safely from your computer.

1.Removing Msocache during set up of Office 2003

If you are completed installing Office 2003, you will get a prompt window after setup is completed  to delete install files, select or check it so that install files will not be saved to your Computer.

2.Removing Msocache after Office 2003 is installed

So you unknowingly not selected or checked the install files while during setup of Office 2003, now you can use Disk Cleanup tool to remove Msocache folder from your computer.

1.Click Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools >Disk Cleanup

2.Once the disk cleanup opens select the drive which is having Msocahe folder and click ok.

3.Now Disk Cleanup scans and shows Office Setup Files in your computer on that drive .

4.In the Files to delete select office setup files and click ok to remove the office setup files .

What is Msocache? how to remove it from your Computer

5.If you not found office install files with disk cleanup on one drive repeat the same above procedure again until disk cleanup founds office install files on remaining drives,select them and remove safely with disk cleanup.

Are you using Office 2003 in your computer ?have you found Msocache in your computer ?share with us in comments

Chris January 2, 2010 at 12:18 am

Files are not listed under Files to Delete list, so cannot perform Disk Cleanup as detailed above.

So why can't they be removed manually via Windows Explorer?

venkat January 2, 2010 at 10:02 am

@Chris
No it is not recommended and safe method delete office 2003 installation files, if you not find office setup files in disk cleanup try to repair office 2003 with office 2003 CD and it may work for you. Leaving that folder will also do no harm if your computer have larger harddrive storage.

Alexander July 26, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Thank you for this information! Very useful for me and my limited knowledge to keep the order on my computer.

Venkat July 26, 2010 at 6:33 pm

@Alexander
You are welcome , we are always looking to provide more resourceful articles for PC users .
If you have any questions or doubts you can submit them to use through contact form.We do our best to provide solution.

Diane September 16, 2011 at 9:31 am

I am having the problem of not finding Office Setup Files in the Disk Cleaner process. It is for MS Office 2003 and I am running MS Office 2007, so am not sure why it is even there. It’s over 560MB of space and I’m real short on the hard drive and need every MB at this point (need money to buy larger internal drive/external drive). Could I delete via Windows Explorer since I have a totally different version of MS Office? I no longer have a CD for MS Office 2003.
Thank you for any help.
Diane

Tahir September 21, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Thank you very much for the guidance. It had covered half GB of my disk space. I tried as per your direction but the file was not available in disk clean up list. I therefore used Active@Eraser for Windows software right click the folder software asked me do you want to removed it. Iclick OK and the file was removed.

Sasi March 28, 2013 at 10:00 am

Ima using office 2007, but i can MSO cache which is occupying more space, i used the process to cleanup install files, but i cudn’t find office setup files.please help me out.

br April 16, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I have MSOffice2007 on my HD C: partition which was installed by an outside technician.

Now, I have TWO MSOCache folders, one in drive C and another in drive D. Both are of identical size 529mb.

I wish to clean up both the folders.

They DO NOT appear in the disk diagnostic tool in either of the disks. The microsoft guide says they should not be deleted from explorer.

So, please guide me. thanks

Venkat eswarlu April 17, 2013 at 10:06 am

As MS KB warned not to delete this folder from Windows Explorer, if you’ve installed Office fully then you can remove them to gain disk space. Its up to you to take the decision now.