How to Fix “Warning:Unresponsive Script“ in Firefox [Updated]

by Venkat eswarlu on March 12, 2009

in Firefox

How to Fix “Warning:Unresponsive Script“ in Firefox [Updated]Update: This is worth the try.

Install YesScript extension which lets you block JavaScript that is causing problem on specific websites.

Install the add-on, restart the browser, open its options and add the page/site on which warning is appearing to block that script.

Let me know this is working for you or not through comments.

Recently, while I was browsing certain websites and reading mails in Gmail, got unresponsive script warning in Firefox, it caused Firefox to hang and give that warning message.

Why this warning comes in Firefox ?

This warning comes due to several reasons as Firefox unable to handle java script on that website you are browsing, and may cause Firefox to hang that’s why Firefox asks to either to stop the script or continue the script on that page.

How to Fix “Warning:Unresponsive Script“ in Firefox [Updated]

But neither stopping the script, nor continuing the script does not yielded any favor, I got the same warning again while browsing those sites.

What could be the reasons that caused Firefox to give this warning ?

The reasons could be due to Add-ons installed in Firefox or the java script in webpage you are accessing or Firefox it self.

Since this Script warning comes to me when browsing Gmail and couple of websites, I suspected Firefox, since the Firefox version using is outdated and also Firefox stopped the support to Firefox 2.0 (Only one computer in network is using Firefox 2.0 and remaining are updated one’s).

What’s the Fix?

So I updated the Firefox 2.0 to latest version of Firefox that is Firefox 3.07, ,after that I have no warning problems in browsing Gmail and couple of Websites I mentioned above. This could be different in your case if you get this unresponsive script warning, but the ultimate fix to this I recommend is updating to latest version of Firefox which fixes these warnings and bugs.

Have you faced this script warning in Firefox? How you solved it? Share with us in the comments

Janschie August 19, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Doesn’t help – I have the latest version of Firefox – its getting worse !

Master And Student August 11, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Even the newer versions having the same problem !

helen August 24, 2011 at 8:05 am

I have fire fox 6.0 google was working and now i can not access it what do i need to do

budeus budinski October 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm

unresponsive script STILL in firefox 7.0 SORT IT OUT MOZILLA!!!

Glenn October 1, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Letting the script run longer

If you find that pressing the Continue button brings up the same dialog again, letting the script run longer won’t help you; it will just make Firefox hang for longer. However, if you can use Firefox normally after pressing Continue, then the script may just needs extra time to complete.

To tell Firefox to let the script run longer:

In the Location bar, type about:config and press Enter.
The about:config “This might void your warranty!” warning page may appear. Click I’ll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.
In the about:config page, search for the preference dom.max_script_run_time, and double-click on it.
In the Enter integer value prompt, type 20.
Press OK.

Laurie Yanda-Byrd November 21, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I get this message when in yahoo, but most of the time it is on facebook, farmville is the worst. About 40 in a 30 minute time frame.
I have uninstalle Mozilla firefox several times have the latest version. (XP SP3)
Same with flash none of this helps.

1921 November 25, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I have this problem also. WHen I type about:config and when I find dom.max_script_run_time is already 20. My sistem is in the last 3 days very slow, but I scanned it and no virus infection. Help someone please?

happycortex December 11, 2011 at 12:31 am

this problem drove me nuts!!! i did everything i could think of to fix it and nothing worked: upgrade browser, run virus scans, pc tuneup software, check for spyware, read mozilla’s fix, etc. eventually, i got fed up and disabled mozilla’s crappy Java reader.

ctrl + shift + A will open mozilla’s add-on manager. click on PLUGINS located on the left of the screen. disable Java(TM) Platform. disable Java Deploy Toolkit.

hope this helps

Bri January 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I tried the about:config solution and it didn’t work. I also tried several things on various boards but nothing… Firefox still hung. Talk about annoying. I finally decided to ditch Firefox and switch to Opera just to stop the script problem.

Well, that didn’t work either. Opera was giving me the same problem. That got me to wondering whether it might actually be something in the operating system. I went to the following page…

and downloaded the ActiveX updater. Surprise! That worked for me. I’m guessing that it will work for many of you too. And, there’s also a Runtime updater on the page that can be downloaded (although I didn’t need to).

Hope this helps…

- Bri

Venkat January 5, 2012 at 7:08 pm

The thread discussion about stopping IE script errors here its Firefox so what you said or thread addresses no way related to this post.

Nora February 12, 2012 at 3:38 am

I have Mozilla 10.0.1 and I still get the Unresponsive Script warning.

Tony P February 16, 2012 at 7:02 am

I get the same crap on FF 10.0.1

I’m getting a little tired of Firefox to be honest. It’s almost as crap-tastic as Internet Exploder.

saad ul amin March 24, 2012 at 12:08 am

i am having this problem on all browsers.like google chrome ,firefox and opera etc .plzzz help any body

booperkit September 2, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I was having this problem but only on my blog, it was a widget I had installed, invisible on the blog, but still there doing ‘something’ on the back end. I deleted it, no problem. So perhaps it may be nothing to do with Firefox…

Venkat September 3, 2012 at 7:49 am

That’s on your end, but there is something relate to Firefox it could be add-ons or other things still yet not sorted out. Anyway glad to know that there is no problem for you.

saintaubyn November 9, 2012 at 12:46 am

I have the same problem when i use fire fox to open my yahoo account ,keeping getting
the warning UN responsive script even when its updated to the current fire fox.
I uninstalled it reinstall and the same thing ,I get this problem on my laptop which is a windows vista when I open my yahoo in another account it works.
send info on how to combat this thing it’s annoying.

tomgray January 11, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Still having this problem, even though just downloaded latest version of Firefox.

Ash March 15, 2013 at 8:21 pm

same problem here – been happening for years on firefox.

My way of solving this issue is to ditch firefox and get chromium

Venkat eswarlu March 17, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Hey I updated the post, plz have a look at it and try YesScript extension to block those warnings.

fixthisproblem March 18, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I’m about to ditch firefox because it’s getting worse. I can’t even read my gmail without this stupid box!

Venkat eswarlu March 18, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Have you checked the update.

ALI April 29, 2013 at 2:45 am

i have the same problem and i founded a solution
open tools —->options —>unchecked Enable JavaScript option