by Venkat eswarlu on March 13, 2009

in Troubleshooting

How to Fix “Dr.Watson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a Problem and needs to Close”If you are using Internet Explorer, Outlook or any Application, you can get Dr .Watson Postmortem Debugger error. You can also observe drwtsn32.exe process running in the task manager.Dr.Watson crashes when other applications crashed.

What’s Dr.Watson? Is this a Virus?

Dr.Watson for Windows is a debugger that will be useful to debug and creates log files when a error occurs with in a program. Technical support people will analyze these log files and fix the errors. It is not a virus or a malware program.Dr.Watson creates log files at  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson.

It actually crashes some times frequently and gives the error as given below.

Dr.Watson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problems and needs to close

Why Dr.Watson crashes and give error?

Unfortunately, when you are browsing through Internet Explorer or working with any other program if that program crashes, then Dr.Watson program it self crashes and gives that error.

Does I really need this Dr.Watson  program?

No not really in fact Windows Error Reporting service also do the same as Dr.Watson, as you know you can send error reports to Microsoft through Windows Error  Reporting also.

What’s the Fix?

Fix to this problem is disabling Dr.Watson as we have alternative Windows Error Reporting available, we don’t require Dr.Watson .

Disabling Dr.Watson

1.Click Start>Run>type Regedit and click ok.

2.Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version

3.Select AeDebug in the right pane ,double click it and enter value 0.

4.Close registry editor, restart your computer.

You won’t get this error again in future.

If you have problem with access to registry, download the registry file released by Microsoft , run that registry file.

Have you ever got Dr.Watson error? how you solved it to not appear that error again ? share with in comments

Update 08/08/2011 : Microsoft released Fix It tool to disable and enable Dr.watson postmertem Debugger

Download Fix it to Disable Dr Watson.

Also read

How to Remove BV:AutoRun-G [Wrm] from Your USB Drive

7 Solutions to USB Pen Drive Problems

7 Ways to Fix ”Registry editing has been disabled by Your administrator “

7 Ways to Fix “Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator”

Anonymous August 7, 2009 at 8:13 pm

I got the error message always when i opened a folder with larger video files: dr watson has encountered.. Thanks to venkat, the download worked, debuger does not start and crash.

venkat August 7, 2009 at 9:12 pm

@Anonymous
I am glad that article helped you to fix the error,you are welcome here I hope you will stay on this blog for long time.

sirofallsirs September 14, 2009 at 7:56 pm

wow..thanks..the download link in the comment "http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/5/1/751c3454-ffc4-418a-8320-51066f4ee4ce/DisableDrWatson.reg" WORKED. thank you for the solution and great blog.

venkat September 15, 2009 at 4:54 pm

@sirfallsirs
I am glad you fixed that problem this error seems to be getting common so all users should be know the solution to that. Thanks for stopping by I hope u stay on my blog for more useful posts.Keep coming .

Bayninan Kiangan Onnop Ifugao October 21, 2009 at 9:00 am

I have the same problem that Eric posted on April 24, 2009. Like Eric said, any ideas?

I seemed to be able to disable Dr. Watson ok however now I get a window that says
Explorer.EXE-Application Error
The instruction at "series of numbers/letters"referenced memory at "series of numbers/letters". The memory could not be "read".
Click OK to terminate program

Then when I click OK I get
Error
Runtime error 216 at series of numbers/letters

I can only close this by going to task manager and when I do the first window pops up again so I'm stuck. Each time the numbers and letters are different.
The only way I can run is in safe mode.
Any ideas
Thanks

Andrea November 16, 2009 at 7:08 am

I have this issue as well. When I turn on my laptop, I get the explorer error first. I click dont send and then the Dr Watson error. I have any additional issue that I do not have anything that shows up in my taskbar. No Start button, no taskbar icons, no clock. After these error messages are gone I cannot click on any of the program icons on the desktop. My only option seems to be is using task manager. If I go to File, then New Task (run) then browse, all I get is locked up with the hour glass and then my task manager is not responding so I have to shut it down. Any thoughts on this mess? lol Thanks!

Anonymous December 3, 2009 at 2:55 am

I am having the same problem as Andrea is there any solution on how to fix this?

Jack Creason March 4, 2010 at 10:37 am

When my computer boots up the DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered an error box pops up. I can send the report, but the box reappears. I can't click on the start menu or even tab away to use the keyboard. I've crtl-alt-del, but the same thing happens. I've also done the system restore to no avail.

How can I fix this, if I can't do anything?

Anonymous April 9, 2010 at 8:28 am

thanks ypu very much for telling how to solve the DrWatson Postmortem.

Anonymous April 18, 2010 at 4:38 am

I did thesuggested DrWatson fix, but no changes. Now I get
Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

venkat April 18, 2010 at 12:19 pm
Umar May 15, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Dr. Watson is a debugger and it triggers when an eror occurs in some program. Turning off the debugger or disabling it is not the solution. If it is disabled, it won’t inform you that the error has occured…we should be able to know solve the problem that is encountered by Dr. Watson debugger…someone please comment

Venkat May 15, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Hey Umar just read the full article and comment , as u said it will crash when other application crashes, we have already Windows Error reporting service available which reports for errors make sure you enabled that service and disabling Dr.Watson will help this way.Dr.watson has nothing to do it is also jsut like Windows Error reporting service.

Duncan June 12, 2010 at 8:29 am

Where do this Dr. Watson thing come from?How did it get into my computer?

Venkat June 12, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Duncan it will comes along with Windows like Windows Error reporting, disabling Dr.Watson does no harm to your Computer.Windows error reporting service will alert you when critical errors do occur.

sKatti July 7, 2010 at 5:15 pm

We noticed that the Windows debugger program, Dr. Watson, seems to be configured differently between XP 32 & 64 bit. I believe that Dr. Watson popped up when a user experienced an Alias issue. This only happened on 32 bit. On 64 bit the same error was experienced but Dr. Watson did not popup. Can someone help us understand why Dr. Watson would behave differently on 32 & 64 bit systems?

Venkat July 7, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Will let you know If I know about it ,since most users use 32-bit systems including me too.

Bridget September 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm

When i go to run and regedit there is no title on the right hand side as mentioned. My debugger thing only comes up when i am trying to print something?

Abdul Sattar Joiya November 23, 2010 at 12:04 pm

This link will help you to understand Dr watson debugger…

francis uriel lagman November 23, 2010 at 6:05 pm

wow! this is a help!…thanks a lot thanks! for this blog. actually there are many times that i got problems in my pc….THANKS!

Kunal Kukreja April 10, 2011 at 9:31 am

Brilliant article. I found it very useful………
now the rubbish error doesn’t appear anymore……
my sincere thanks to VENKAT…….

Animesh May 12, 2011 at 8:58 am

guys its not working for me as registry edit file is not at all opening in my pc plz.. help i would be very thankful to u all.

mheg May 25, 2011 at 11:55 am

wow thanks for the information about the dr. watsons debugger i hope that it can help me to fix our computer . thanks !

hamza June 14, 2011 at 1:28 pm

i have the same problem but when i open any programe or application the drwatson errors appears sorry this does not worked…. please write another solution which can solve my problem …….

madhuram June 28, 2011 at 10:07 pm

excellent.. i solved my problem in a few minute thnxx…

siyam August 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm

workable

Patrick September 30, 2011 at 6:36 pm

hi, ihave a problem i was playing Dragon nest SEA (a high memory requiring online game) then the game crashed and DrWatson Posmortem Debugger keeps on crashing and sending me nonstop “DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problen and needs to close.” I cant open any application :( only mozilla please help~

shinzon October 30, 2011 at 12:49 pm

why it did not work in me when i click Start>Run>Type Regedit it did not show me the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version

murphy November 1, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I followed instructions but still the same? its driving me mad please help someone.

Muhammad Bilal November 27, 2011 at 1:41 am

I am facing memory dump issue on my laptop , some times during working it shows blue screen and restarts. When i try to scan it by using my mcafee it restarts every time during scan (after 1hr).
I tried to scan it in safe mode .it agin enountered problems and this time it shows following errors.Can you help in this regard.

when i click debug then following msg appear

D:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERec26.dir00\drwtsn32.exe.mdmp
D:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERec26.dir00\appcompat.txt

when i check error report it shows

“error signature
EventType : BEX P1 : drwtsn32.exe P2 : 5.1.2600.0 P3 : 3b7d84a2
P4 : dbghelp.dll P5 : 5.1.2600.5512 P6 : 4802a0b2 P7 : 0001295d
P8 : c0000409 P9 : 00000000 “

Muhammad Bilal November 27, 2011 at 1:43 am

One more thing when i checked registry file as you told .It is already zero there,

Abdirazak December 22, 2011 at 12:16 am

THANK YOU YOU SOLVED MY PROBLEM REALLY I WAS FED UP WITH THAT ERROR YOU STOPPED THAT ERROR FROM MY PC THANKS A LOT AGAIN

LAKRA January 12, 2012 at 9:17 pm

when i want to open MyComputer or MyDocuments sometimes it shows the error as “DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”
I had gone through the steps given above but in my task manager there is no process running like drwtsn32.exe also there is no “AeDebug” in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version

Parkavi August 7, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Thank,Im working as malware researcher,this error we use to get for sample analysis.So the way to Disabling Dr.Watson Error is very very usefull for me and its gud..Thanks..

Venkat August 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm

You’re welcome

Jordan August 14, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I have this error come up when i turn my computer on, and it doesnt let me bring up the start menu or do anything, i left it for hours last night and it doesnt do anything, the only thing i can do is turn it off again ? now what ?????

Raj November 16, 2012 at 10:23 am

Works greate. Thanks a lot

Venkat November 16, 2012 at 11:03 am

You’re welcome Raj.

Alaa December 15, 2012 at 6:06 am

Hi Venkat
thank you for that solution you put , Dr.Watson Error disappeared but there is another problem appear >> “Windows Explorer has encountered a Problem and needs to Close ”

my system get hanged after that message & i don’t know what i do !

i can’t expolre any partition inside My Computer except Drive C .

even the link you put for this problem & it’s solution doesn’t works properly with me .

what i do with ” Windows Explorer has encountered a Problem and needs to Close ” !

muhammad shahzad February 27, 2013 at 6:49 pm

yes its is need full for me . thanks.

calynn July 29, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Hi thr. I have the same problem with DrWatson popping up everytime. It totally slows down my pc and I can hardly do anything. I tried the instructions, I got to typing in “regedit” bt then nothing happens. Is there anything else I can do. Pls help, I need this fixed asap. *Thanx

Venkat eswarlu July 30, 2013 at 10:48 am

Download and install the fix http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9749533, your problem will be solved.

pradeep August 3, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Thanks a lot problem solved……

Venkat eswarlu August 3, 2013 at 5:04 pm

You’re welcome Pradeep.

Syed Adil Mehdi September 3, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Hi sir, I have a problem with DrWatson popping up every now and then. I tried running ‘regedit’ through ‘Run’, but nothing happens. The task manager also does not open. I downloaded the ‘Fix It’ file and tried to run it, but it doesnt open and the same DrWatson error appears.. I can hardly do anything. I opened ‘drwtson32′ through ‘Run’ and unchecked all the boxes… Still the error persists. Please help.

Venkat eswarlu September 4, 2013 at 7:23 am

First make sure you can able to open Registry Editor and Task Manager,if you can’t try the below links then I suggest you to use registry file or fix it.

rook March 22, 2014 at 9:07 am

Thanks to venkat. I have fixed the problem and error didn’t come.